Help me understand how 1Password still fits my needs

WilDoaneWilDoane
edited August 13 in Purchasing

I've installed and uninstalled 1Password 7 several times over the last year. Each time, I ran into issues that violated my expectations so badly, I felt I needed to uninstall and revert to 1Password 6.8.x.

I store my vault on Dropbox. Doing so figures into my estate planning, which I'm unable and uninterested in changing to suit how you think I should use 1Password.

When I first installed 1Password 7, it disabled 1Password 6 and, since it wasn't paid yet, wouldn't access my vault on Dropbox. uninstall

When I installed it a second time months later, I needed to enter a password as part of the install... but since it had once again disabled 1Password 6, I didn't have access to my passwords. uninstall

When I installed it a third time recently, I made notes of the passwords I needed before starting the install, then completed the install, then paid, and STILL couldn't find options to link it to my existing Dropbox vault. The instructions at https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/ don't appear to be correct: there's was no way to select the primary vault location in the OSX app's preferences. uninstall unsubscribe.

Now you're trying to entice me to pay again.

I've long recommended 1Password to others and enjoyed using it to myself. I've been a paid user of several versions over the years. But version 7 has broken the UX very, very badly. And it seems to know better than I do where my vault should be stored and how I should plan for the end of my life. I've also been off-put by the harsh responses from Agile staff in the forums when users have tried to share their stories of confusion and shock at how version 7 functions, which I've read in my search to understand how you intend it to operate.

Why? What have I missed? How can I board the 1Password train again, but keep my estate plans structured to my liking?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox

Comments

• LauraRLauraR

Team Member

Hi @WilDoane - I will be happy to help you board the 1Password train again and I am sorry you have been disappointed with 1Password 7. I love the fact that you are thinking ahead for your estate planning and we will be happy to make sure this works in the way you want it to work as it is so important.

It sounds like when you installed 1Password 7 you also signed up for a new 1Password membership account. With a 1Password account we host your 1Password data so there is no sync setup necessary and this is why you don't see the Sync option in the 1Password app.

There are two ways to purchase 1Password 7 - either purchase a new 1Password 7 license or subscribe to a 1Password membership. A 1Password membership includes all the 1Password apps for all the platforms and all future upgrades.

If you purchase the licensed version of 1Password 7 you can sync with your 1Password vault in Dropbox.

So I can help you correctly with your particular setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to [email protected].

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106255/you-seem-to-have-broken-the-ux-badly-help-me-understand-how-1password-still-fits-my-needs#latest
    • Your forum username: WilDoane

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much and I look forward to helping you more.

• Done and done: [#TNT-76271-769]

Thank you.

• LauraRLauraR

Team Member
    edited August 13

Great, thank you - I will reply to you via email shortly.

ref: TNT-76271-769

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file