Storing SSH keys in 1Password - really doesn't work at all well

ChrisJenkinsChrisJenkins Junior Member

I'd like to store SSH keys (private and public) in 1Password (Mac and iOS). However the standard 'text' field type in 1Password is no good for this as when I copy and paste the key text (from a terminal session) into one of those files it loses the line breaks and the resulting private key is then (very) hard to easily re-constitiute. The 'notes' field does not have this issue but you can only have one notes field per item and so it isn't really very useful (a person may have several SSH keys). Can you please improve the 'text' field type so that it retains line breaks when pasting (and copying). or provide an additional field type that behaves the same way as the notes field but where multiple fields are allowed per item. This is really very important to me. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @ChrisJenkins

We've had similar requests (particularly re: SSH keys) before and I've filed an issue with our development team to consider how to best address this. I can't make any promises at this stage, but my suggestion was to implement a multi-line password field. That way the key could be concealed, but would retain line breaks, and could be easily copied to the clipboard. Also, it would be possible to have multiple of them on an item.

a person may have several SSH keys

For now... I'd recommend a unique item for each of them.

Ben

ref: internal/b5book#988

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file