Preferences > Browsers > Automatically sign in - does this still exist? [No]

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

My install of 1Password7 7.3.2 on Mac does not have this option, which I observe does exist in the current Windows version. Is this option supposed to be there, or has it been removed from the Mac version?

Similarly, in the Windows version, individual logins can honor or override that global preference, via Submit when enabled (which I would presume is the default), Always submit or Never submit. I don't see those options on the Mac side either.

Have these settings moved somewhere else?

CMD+\ to fill login does work.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iPassword

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Tonetony,

The way the Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords feature works is the extension would, if possible, leave focus on a filled password field. If it could and if the global or Login item preference was for submitting then 1Password would ask macOS to behave as if the user had pressed the enter key. The vast majority of well designed sites will allow the user to submit the form with a press of the enter key. Starting in Mojave though the way in which 1Password was able to do this has been effectively blocked. It was a security decision on Apple's part and while 1Password's use was for the benefit of the user, what Apple were protecting us all against was a legitimate attack. I don't believe it was being actively used when Apple stopped it but they couldn't leave it as is, not with what they knew. It's a shame but I'm with Apple on this, there's no justification for keeping it with what they knew. Sadly we've not found a reliable replacement so in 1Password 7 the feature was simply removed. With the per Login item setting now being redundant on the Mac 1Password 7 for Mac no longer even displays it to avoid its presence causing any confusion.

The extension will still leave focus on the password field so hopefully after a while you won't find the need to press enter is too much of a change to the workflow you were previously accustomed to.

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

I had a feeling it was a technical limitation imposed by Apple for good reason. Fortunately it is still possible for you to fill fields!

At least one of your competitors that has also rebuilt to the Mac app extension model is still doing automatic sign in, but perhaps the implementation isn't reliable.

I agree with you that pressing Return or clicking the submit button with the mouse is pretty effortless, and if it means the 1Password behavior is consistent and predictable, that's confidence-inducing and gets my vote.

Thanks!

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tonetony: I'm glad littlebobbytables was able to clear things up here. :)

Indeed, our decision to remove the autosubmit feature was only made after many of us tried switching off the feature on our own Macs to see how we'd fare. As you might expect based on how things turned out, we had little trouble—pressing Return ourselves was relatively quick and eliminated the occasional consistency issues with autosubmit.

Let us know anytime if you have more feedback or questions, and we'll be here for you.

Cheers,
    Henry

This discussion has been closed.