trying to set up iphone, scan code OK user name OK, master password doesn't work

vallejojpl
vallejojpl
Community Member

I am a new family membership user. I have set up my macbook and iphone (Using QR code)
I have setup my wifes macbook. she is a different user and has a separate vault. I have downloaded the app onto her iphone. I have scanned the QR code. But her master password that does work on her macbook does not work on her iphone ????

I don't understand "sync type"

1Password Version: downloaded today from app store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: ???
Referrer: forum-search:trying to set up iphone, scan code OK user name OK, master password doesn't work

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vallejojpl: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The 1Password app will unlock using the Master Password of the first vault/account setup there. So if the app was already setup with something else, the Master Password for it will need to be used to unlock. Is all of the data in the new 1Password account yet?

• vallejojpl
    vallejojpl
    Community Member
    • I am converting from a legacy product to a family subscription
    • I have created 3 vaults, one for me one for my wife and 1 we will share
    • I have an Imac and have created a new vault in my subscription and moved my "legacy" passwords to it and deleted my legacy vault
    • I have created 2 user. Me and my wife. I have two "emergency" kits with one QR code each
    • I have an iphone. I have downloaded the 1password app to it, initialized it with my QR Code and I have access to my vault
    • My wife has a macbook air. I have downloaded the app, put a bunch of passwords in the my wife's vault.
    • My wife has an iphone. I have downloaded the 1 passwd app, scanned the QR code, but I am unable to log in with the username and password that I use on the macbook. I am absolutely certain I have typed it correctly.
    • I am starting to think there is some incompatibility between the macbook app and the Web based tool.
    • I have spent a lot of time fooling with this and am getting frustrated. Exchanging messages once a day is not my idea of good support for this complicated app. Can we setup a phone call.
  • vallejojpl
    vallejojpl
    Community Member

Clearly I have done something wrong. When I look at the "Mary" vault on her Mac, there are 19 items in it. When I login into the browser app, on my imac, it says there are 0 items in the "Mary" vault.

1Password does say I have two users with the correct user IDs

• vallejojpl
    vallejojpl
    Community Member

I now realize I cannot sign in to the browser app with my wife's id. But it does work with the 1passwd app on her macbook.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@vallejojpl: Thanks for the additional info! I'll add a few notes to your comments that should help:

I have created 3 vaults, one for me one for my wife and 1 we will share

It's totally up to you, as that may be the best option for your situation. But I did want to mention that a 1Password Families membership comes with a default Shared vault which everyone you invite has access to automatically. So depending on what you're sharing, that may be a better option. But you can always create additional vaults to share with one, all, or none of your family members, as it sounds like you're doing already. :)

I have an Imac and have created a new vault in my subscription and moved my "legacy" passwords to it and deleted my legacy vault

That sounds good. If you only have your 1Password account setup on all your devices (i.e. no local vaults, like "Primary"), then you'll have the same data everywhere. Easy!

My wife has a macbook air. I have downloaded the app, put a bunch of passwords in the my wife's vault.

It's worth noting that inviting your wife to the family membership will result in her having her own Private vault which only she can access -- just as you have your own Private vault.

My wife has an iphone. I have downloaded the 1 passwd app, scanned the QR code, but I am unable to log in with the username and password that I use on the macbook. I am absolutely certain I have typed it correctly. I am starting to think there is some incompatibility between the macbook app and the Web based tool.

The Master Password that was set when creating the account will bee needed to sign into that account. However, if the app has

I have spent a lot of time fooling with this and am getting frustrated. Exchanging messages once a day is not my idea of good support for this complicated app. Can we setup a phone call.

I'm sorry for the frustration. We don't have a call center though, and honestly I wouldn't have any more information that way, and it is more difficult (and sometimes impossible) to exchange technical information and things like screenshots that can help. And, ultimately, talking on the phone won't have any impact on your ability to access any vault/account, as we literally do not have the information needed to do so, or any way to "reset" it for you. If you prefer email, please contact us at support@1password.com and include a link to this forum discussion for context, and we can continue there. But again, we don't have the ability to

Clearly I have done something wrong. When I look at the "Mary" vault on her Mac, there are 19 items in it. When I login into the browser app, on my imac, it says there are 0 items in the "Mary" vault. 1Password does say I have two users with the correct user IDs

Thanks for the details! I don't think you've done anything wrong, but rather you simply haven't yet migrated the data to the account. You'd need to follow the steps in this guide from "Migrate your data on your main device" to do so, and then setup any other devices to use the account as well:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I now realize I cannot sign in to the browser app with my wife's id. But it does work with the 1passwd app on her macbook.

I think the confusion that you're having is that your wife has been and still is using the 1Password app without an account, so the Master Password to unlock it will be whatever she setup for the vault she's using there. Once the data is moved from that old vault to the account, the old vault can be removed, and then, with only the 1Password membership account setup in the app, it will unlock using that account's Master Password going forward.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.