Is there a way to get the 1Password unlock prompt automatically at Mac account sign in?

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

Right now I get the master password prompt the first time I try to use 1Password, but that's a time I'm actually focusing on getting something else done, and so it's a kind of intrusive bookkeeping task that can be a surprise.

When I first log in to my Mac account, that's when my sole focus is login. That's when, for instance, I have to unlock any encrypted drives.

I realize there are a number of auto-lock options, so 1Password can frequently enter the locked state - it's not just the initial state after Mac login. Getting nagged to unlock 1Password each time it auto-locks would probably be more annoying than useful.

But it's different seeing a prompt upon initial Mac login, vs. for instance getting auto-locked upon exceeding the idle time threshold. The idea would seem most useful if you clear all of the Auto-lock settings. (I only keep the fast user switching Auto-lock enabled, but switching users is actually a kind of login, so the concept sort of applies here too).

I could imagine an "Instant-prompt" checkbox that could be checked for each of the Auto-lock options, including a new one to prompt upon Mac login (where the state starts out as already "auto-locked").

I guess any such option would be different from the on-demand way iOS (and presumably Android) versions work, and different from how I imagine the browser-resident 1Password X would work.

So I've given many reasons why my idea is probably awful, but that doesn't mean I've changed my mind about wanting it or something like it.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tonetony!

I am not sure that I understood your request completely: are you looking for a way to have 1Password start at login, come to the forefront automatically, and require you to enter your Master Password?

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that's the idea, except not exactly "require" - just present the standard dialog for entering the Master Password, which you could dismiss as usual via close button, CMD-Q, etc.

Dismiss it just means you would be deferring the unlock until later, just like you can do now.

This would be an optional feature, defaulting to off so that things work just as they do now, unless someone like me wants to unlock right away to get that immediately out of the way. The advantage - for people who like it - would be that when you need to use 1Password, it would be ready to go. You'd have taken care of the unlock at a time when you were already in the "logging in" mindset.

BTW am I supposed to get email notifications when someone comments on a thread? I have all the notifications enabled in my Profile, but only see them in my Notifications here on the website - so I have to check periodically if anyone has commented. My email address appears to be right.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tonetony:

Thank you for the clarification! I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

BTW am I supposed to get email notifications when someone comments on a thread? I have all the notifications enabled in my Profile, but only see them in my Notifications here on the website - so I have to check periodically if anyone has commented. My email address appears to be right.

We are aware of some issues when it comes to email notifications, and we have reached out to the forum provider already ;)

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    Options
    • 1 for this. It's almost a daily scenario where I'm in Safari at a login page. I click the 1Password extension icon several times and wonder why nothing happens. Then I open the 1Password app ( which starts when I login ) and see that I need to unlock the application. I unlock it , then return to my browser, and try to remember what I was doing ( I'm always multi-tasking, so there are a lot of choices!) before I had to take a detour to unlock 1Password.

Having the 1Password app prompt to be unlocked on system login and system unlock events would be extremely helpful in not making users add detours during their workflows.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your feedback as well! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.