I want to change the name of my local vault

volcano2
volcano2
Community Member

I have 1Password set up with three vaults: Private, Shared and Primary. "Primary" is a local vault and I would like to rename it to "Local". How do I do that?

TIA
Jon

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I want to change the name of my local vault

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @volcano2!

The Primary vault cannot be renamed. You can choose the name of additional standalone vaults, but the Primary one is an exception. Sorry!

• volcano2
    volcano2
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana,

Is a standalone vault the same thing as a local vault (i.e. not saved on your servers)? I was under the impression that you can only have one local vault. If I am wrong, can I create a second vault and move all my passwords in the Primary vault to it and simply not use the Primary vault?

Thanks,
    Jon

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@volcano2:

Is a standalone vault the same thing as a local vault (i.e. not saved on your servers)?

Yes, we are referring to the same thing. Although standalone doesn't necessarily mean "local": it might not be saved on our servers, but it might be saved on iCloud or Dropbox servers, if you have sync enabled.

I was under the impression that you can only have one local vault.

If you are using iCloud to sync your standalone vaults, you are right. You can only use one vault.

If I am wrong, can I create a second vault and move all my passwords in the Primary vault to it and simply not use the Primary vault?

If you use Dropbox to sync your standalone vaults, you can have multiple standalone vaults, but the Primary one cannot be deleted. It's a special vault, so while you could move everything into another vault named like you wish, you would still have to keep an empty Primary vault around, so it probably won't be worth the effort.

• volcano2
    volcano2
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana,

I think I understand. I would like to make sure that I am doing everything correctly. I do not use either iCloud nor Dropbox to sync. I do copy the files in my Local.opvault folder to another (Windows) system both to use as backup and to use 1Password on that system. If I create a new standalone vault called Local, will I be able to continue just copying files to the other system without using another syncing method?

Thanks,
    Jon

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@volcano2:

Ah yes, in your case then a standalone vault is absolutely a local vault too then :)

If I create a new standalone vault called Local, will I be able to continue just copying files to the other system without using another syncing method?

Yes, you can continue doing that. But you will not be able to delete your Primary vault from the 1Password app: all you can do is add new local vaults. So you can create a new Local vault, but you will have to keep both Primary and Local if you decide to do that, you cannot just have the Local vault.

I hope this helps!

• volcano2
    volcano2
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_ana,

Just to be clear - I will move all my passwords from from my Primary vault to the Local vault and my Primary vault will be empty. In this case, as long as I do not somehow remove the Primary vault, I will be able to continue using the Local vault and backing it up using my file copy method even though the Primary vault is empty. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Jon

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

I will move all my passwords from from my Primary vault to the Local vault and my Primary vault will be empty. In this case, as long as I do not somehow remove the Primary vault, I will be able to continue using the Local vault and backing it up using my file copy method even though the Primary vault is empty. Is that correct?

Yep, that is all correct! Alongside your 1Password account, you're welcome to keep as many "local" standalone vaults as you'd like (though the first vault will always be named Primary).

Just one thing to add: if you've got your data in a 1Password account, there's no need to back up your data beyond printing your Emergency Kit to make sure you always have access to your account. We back up your data on our end robustly, and every 1Password app where you're signed in keeps a complete copy of all your vaults' data such that the only casualty of no more connection to our servers would be syncing. There's no need to keep a separate local vault copy of your data (though of course you're free to manage that if you'd like).

Let ag_ana and myself know if there's anything more we can do to help!

Cheers,
    Henry

This discussion has been closed.