Migrate data from a very old, one-time purchase account to a family account

Jaya
Jaya
Community Member

Hello, my Mom has purchased the 1Password app for her Mac and iphone years ago. Now I would like her to join my family account with a new username/email address to make a clear cut between the one-time purchase app and her new account under my family account, because her app will not be upgraded anymore.
I have installed/upgraded to 1Password 7 on her Mac, and it works fine with all her old data and old username/email.
However, I am unable to migrate her old data, which sits in the one-time purchase account into her new subscription account?
Do these old one-time purchase accounts have a secret key? Because this is what I have been lacking throughout the process. She doesn't have one. Maybe she has lost it (in that case, too bad...), but maybe in those days 1Password simply didn't supply secret keys? And if that is the case, maybe there is another way to save myself some serious manual work...Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Her data will sit in a so called „Primary Vault“ in 1Password 7. She will not have a Secret Key for her old data since the Secret Key is tied to a membership, if 1Password is used without a membership the data is „only“ protected by the masterpassword. Thus the only steps you are missing is setting up her account in the app on her Mac and then moving the data from the primary vault to the private vault of her account and then deleting the old primary vault. For extra protection against something going wrong you can first export her vault to a 1pif file (Do NOT save this export in a cloud and delete it after everything went smoothly, since it is not encrypted!).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jaya: Thanks for getting in touch, and helping your mom get setup with an account as part of your family membership. Happy to assist. :)

Indeed, prior to having a 1Password membership, no one would have an account or Secret Key at all. Those are things we introduced just a few years ago.

It sounds like you've already setup your account as a 1Password Families membership and migrated your data. If so, you're in good shape. But let me know if that's not the case.

However, in order for your mom to join you there, you'll need to send her an invitation she can use to create an account as part of your family membership. This will give you a good overview of how all of that works:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

After she creates her own account with your family, she'll need to migrate her data and setup her devices to use her new account. This guide covers that step by step:

Migrate your data to a 1Password account

And if you -- or any of your loved ones -- have any questions along the way, just let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.