To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Migrate from online vaults to local vaults

setzer
setzer
Community Member

I migrated from 1password v6 to a 1password membership during the period when local vaults were not available. Now that that functionality has been restored, I'd like to go back to a licensed version of 1password7 using local vaults. Is this possible? How do I get a complete export of my vault data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:export to local vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@setzer: Thanks for getting in touch! I take that to mean you're using Windows, but I don't want to assume anything given you didn't include any OS or 1Password version information. Is there something in particular that isn't working for you with the 1Password membership? If there's something we can get sorted, that could help you avoid doing an unnecessary export/import thing, since the old local vault formats do not support some of the newer data structures and features that 1Password accounts use. Let me know the specifics and we'll go from there. :)

• setzer
    setzer
    Community Member

I'm a Mac user with the App Store version of 1Password 7. The membership option does not meet my client's data security requirements, therefore, I can no longer store client-related data in 1Password. When I switched from v6 to v7, it converted both of my vaults, personal and client, to online vaults. I need to migrate my client's vault back to local storage to comply with their security requirements.

$ system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType |grep -i macos
    System Version: macOS 10.14.6 (18G95)

$ grep -A1 -E 'Bundle(Short)?Version' /Applications/1Password\ 7.app/Contents/Info.plist
    CFBundleShortVersionString

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>70302004</string>

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@setzer:

The membership option does not meet my client's data security requirements

Can you please elaborate a little bit on this? What exact requirement does it not meet?

• setzer
    setzer
    Community Member

I cannot elaborate on that. I'm sorry. The confluence (conflagration?) of NDAs, PCI, GDPR, data sovereignty, tax jurisdictions, etc. make it inadvisable to share details. Online storage of credential materials is not approved by my client's security team and poses other legal and financial compliance issues. I've been struggling with this for a while. The bottom line, is I must repatriate this data to on-premise data storage, or stop using 1Password altogether. A nimble and insightful business might see an opportunity here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@setzer: Regarding the online versus local issue, there hasn't actually been a "period when local vaults were not available", you would only have a 1Password membership after signing up for one, and you would have had to have migrated your data there. If you've done that and want to undo it, you can move the data back to a standalone vault. There is nothing in the 1Password app that precludes you from using it locally.

However, we'd be happy to discuss your situation with you privately if that would help. We're often in the position of being bound by agreements like those as well -- to the point where I do not even know most of the companies we work with. So I'd encourage you to reach out to business@1password.com at least. Even if you're not able to discuss specifics, we may be actually be able to meet the requirements, or perhaps there's an opportunity for us to do so in the future. We're just unlikely to be able to meet any requirements without first understanding what they are. Cheers! :)

• setzer
    setzer
    Community Member

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, @brenty!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.