How to deduplicate and combine multiple vaults

Options
spl123
spl123
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 7 on several Macs and iOS devices, all on latest 1Password, and I have managed to accidentally create a bit of a nightmare.

I was using 1Password for years with a 1Password vault 'Primary' that synced over iCloud. Then I activated a 1Password Membership and created 1Password account with two vaults 'Private' and 'Shared' as part of the migration to the 1Password account, with the contents of my 'Primary' local vault synced to the new 'Private' vault. So far so good.

I thought I had selected to always use the 'Private' as the default vault on all my devices, but this turns out not to be the case. I had been making password changes and new passwords at least on one device using the old 'Primary' vault as the default. As a result, I'm left with two vaults, with mostly the same contents, but crucially many differences where the current copy of certain passwords could be in either of the two vaults. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

The older 'Primary' vault has 632 items, the newer 'Private' has now 689 items. Aside from manually going over every single one of them in both vaults looking through the last-modified dates, is there any way to automatically consolidate these two vaults so I have all the current, last updated data in just the newer 'Private' vault???

I see the 'Migrate To Account' under Help>Tools, but I'm afraid to let it rip in case it's not automatically deduplicating the entries.

Please advise!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Account and iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@spl123: Thanks for getting in touch! I would definitely not "migrate to account", as it sounds like you've already (mostly) done that, and you'll end up with much more than you bargained for in that case.

There's not going to be a magic bullet here, but a good approach would be to sort the non-account vault by modification date, move any items you've made changes to there to the account, and then remove the old vault (disable the local vaults option in Preferences > Advanced). You can then use Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items to get rid of any actual duplicates. But you will probably have some similar items which will not be duplicates, because you've got an old copy and a newer one you've changed.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.