Deleting old 1Password backups?

Options
randb2
randb2
Community Member

I have 1PW v7 on my Mac and iOS devices. Using CleanMyMac's 'uninstaller->Leftovers' feature, I discovered 1PW backups from 2015-2017 taking up 5.47 GB of space in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups'. The 1Password 4 folder also contains three other folders: 'b5PendingFileUpload', 'Data', and 'Watchtower'. Since I'm far beyond 1Password 4, can I safely just delete all those folders? Also, the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups' folder (no '4' at the end of '1Password') contains several GB of files labeled '1Password 2015 ... [dates in 2015].agilekeychain.zip'. Can I also safely just delete that backups folder? More generally, exactly which old files/folders associated with versions of 1PW earlier than v7 can I safely delete.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:backup

Comments

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randb2, thanks for getting in touch and asking before deleting. :)

A couple warnings before you proceed:

• App cleaners can be overzealous in their deletions and cause trouble with 1Password now or down the line.
    • The 1Password 4 folder is a main data folder for more modern versions of 1Password as well, not just (as the name would imply) 1Password 4.

You definitely don't want to touch anything in the b5PendingFileUpload, Data, and Watchtower folders if you're hoping 1Password remains functional.

Backups in the folder you mentioned can be deleted at your discretion—that's the only subfolder I can say that about. 1Password manages those automatically, keeping up to 30 daily and 24 monthly backups at most, but you can delete older ones manually if you so choose. You can find those through the 1Password app > Preferences > Backup tab > Show Files. Perhaps the backups are taking up lots of room because your vault has many large Attachments in it?

Let me know if you have any more questions I can answer, and take care,
    Henry

• dhiebert
    dhiebert
    Community Member
    Options

I found this page while trying to figure out why my 1Password in Application Support has over half a gigabyte of data. I deleted all the backups found there, which were all over 4 years old. However, while trying to follow your advice, I could not find a "Backup" tab, nor could I find any reference anywhere to backups, either making, restoring, or accessing. Does 1Password 7 no longer support making backups?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dhiebert:

Typically, when you don't see the Backup tab, it means that data is syncing via 1Password.com, where it is also backed up automatically. Because of this, the 1Password app will not make local backups anymore, and therefore the backup tab is hidden from the preferences.

This discussion has been closed.