Generating passwords to use for other things - like answers to security questions

Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

I don't like telling people what my first car was, or my favorite color. I call these the "IN-security suggestions." So what I have often done is use my password manager to generate a password and use that as the answer.

I usually have stored these questions and answers in the item's notes, but there is no reason each q&a can't get its own label/field.

In 1Password7, it seems the password generation feature is tied to the gear button next to the password field of a Login item and might not be helpful for generating a random value to store somewhere else. The Mini seems to allow to you to tap "+ Generate Password", then copy /paste it into the item you are setting up those Q&As for, then cancel. Or click "Save and Copy" to get the password into the copy buffer, then trash the dummy item.

Is there a more direct feature to let me just access a raw password generator any time I needed one?

Is there a better place to store the security questions and answers?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: Mas OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@Tonetony Maybe something like this as a Login template?

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tonetony! I definitely recommend letting 1Password generate your answers to security questions. It's much more secure, preventing attacks from people who might know your mother's maiden name or the street you lived on in second grade, and it's always to fun to tell the phone representative from your bank that your favorite vegetable is textile slow stealth :)

I'd recommend creating a new password field for each security question just as @vplewis has done—that's how I do it too! In 1Password 7 proper or right in 1Password Mini, you can create a new field, type the question as the field label and then use the gear button to generate a new "password" to use as your security answer. Doing it that way will let you drag-and-drop your security question answers from 1Password Mini or 1Password X anytime you'd need to type them!

Let me know how that works for you, and I'm always here if you have more questions or feedback to share.

Cheers,
    Henry

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member

Thanks, that's brilliant and so much easier than what I was thinking of. I have to get more familiar with the field types like "Password" that you can set labelled fields to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of vplewis and Henry, you are welcome @Tonetony!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• 99Passwords
    99Passwords
    Community Member

This isn't a bad idea, but it does require extra clicks and clacks from users. Can we just assume that, increasingly, websites (particularly clodgy banks and finance places) want us to answer lame security questions?

I've seen as many as 5 security questions, believe it or not.

I have heard that 1P is adding better field management for users, but then again, I've been hearing that for a year now. So maybe it's just voices in my head?

My requests would be... save US time, not your developers.

When I create a new login, I'd like the option to add X number of security question fields and pre-generate all the answers. Yes, I know I still have to copy/paste in the inane questions asked by these doltish companies, but it would be nice to save a few extra clicks though.

Thus, +new login, then somewhere when adding a new Section called Security Questions with a drop down of 1 to 5. When I add (+) that new Security Question Section, it defaults to 3 questions, unless I drop-down and choose a different number. It also pre-fills out a 3 or 4 word 'answer' based on whatever preferences we prefer. Then, all I have to do is copy/paste the question titles setup by the banking institution. (People could even choose other password styles, but let's assume that, sadly, we might have to speak these security questions sometimes).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @99Passwords! And welcome to the forum :)

This discussion has been closed.