New customer having issues with Safari

skaterboy
skaterboy
Community Member
edited August 2019 in Mac

New customer, installed on Safari and Chrome, all of my current passcodes are in Keychain. I've tried a dozen sites, Chase, Discover, Cap One etc, 1Password is not asking me to add any to my vault. I tried Amazon on Chrome and it did work, was able to add it, so far that's it. I assume there is a way to add them manually but its a nonstarter since I have hundreds of passcodes. I'd appreciate any assistance before I uninstall, I've already watched all the videos, thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skaterboy: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty! Unfortunately without some basic information you've left out of your post, it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it. Please tell me the 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, do you maybe just not have 1Password setup in your web browser yet? For browsers other than Safari, you can install it from here:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

And make sure you have the 1Password app installed as well (available at the top of the page).

For Safari, the extension is included in the 1Password app. You just need to enable it in Safari Preferences > Extensions.

Then you'll be able to use 1Password to save and fill login credentials in your web browser. This guide will show you how 1Password works there:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

You can also manually saving login credentials in the browser.

1Password and other 3rd party apps cannot extract information from the macOS Keychain, so you'd need to save that information in 1Password one at a time. If you have a lot, it may be worth it to look into using @MrC ’s converter script to get the information out of Keychain first and into a format that 1Password can import directly.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@skaterboy ,

Use the Get_Safari12_Passwords app in the converter suite. It will export the passwords in a format you can then use with the csv converter to convert that export into a 1Password importable 1PIF file.

See the README.html file and the ConvertSafariPasswords.mp4 video where you find the converter suite, in the Extra Help > Screenshots and Samples folder.

• xt111
    xt111
    Community Member

Hi @MrC

Thank you for your useful tool! However, seems like the Safari12 script isn't working for my Safari13 :(

I only got the first page of my passwords in Safari:
    System Events got an error: Can’t get scroll area 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window "Passwords" of application process "Safari". Invalid index.

Could you please have a look and update the script for Safari13? Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@xt111

You're welcome.

I'm not surprised Safari13 once again changes / breaks the script. I'll take a look as soon as I can download a beta into a VM.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@xt111

I've placed a testing version of Get_Safari12_Passwords into the Custom area of the converter suite location, which is here.

Can you give this a try?

I've noticed that Safari 13 has annoying bug whereby it can randomly lock the passwords area of the preferences dialog while you are using it, and of course, this will thwart the export script.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@xt111

Just checking in. How did the export + conversion work for you? I'm here if you need more assistance.

• Kdri33
    Kdri33
    Community Member

@MrC I am receiving the same error using the new version of the script. Any ideas on how to solve? Error is pasted below.

-- 'ascr'\'err '{ '----':'utxt'("System Events got an error: Can’t get scroll area 1 of group 1 of group 1 of window \"Passwords\" of application process \"Safari\". Invalid index."), 'errn':-1719, 'erob':'obj '{ 'form':'indx', 'want':'scra', 'seld':1, 'from':'obj '{ 'form':'indx', 'want':'sgrp', 'seld':1, 'from':'obj '{ 'form':'indx', 'want':'sgrp', 'seld':1, 'from':'obj '{ 'form':'name', 'want':'cwin', 'seld':'utxt'("Passwords"), 'from':'obj '{ 'form':'name', 'want':'pcap', 'seld':'utxt'("Safa…

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Kdri33 ,

Which version of Safari is this?

Also, be sure to quit Safari first, then run the script and let the script open Safari to do its work.

• Kdri33
    Kdri33
    Community Member

@MrC I was using 13.0.3 but I wasn't having the script open Safari. The script was successful when opening Safari and not performing any other tasks during the run. Thanks for the help! Really great tool

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Kdri33 ,

You must give Script Editor permission to control your computer.

This discussion has been closed.