Sync doesn't show on my mac preferences, 1password installed on my iPhone but no personal folder

Options
dougkeuneke
dougkeuneke
Community Member

I am using 1password on my mac air and works fine. I installed the app on my iPhone and logged into my account, but the personal folder does not appear. 1password preferences on mac does not have the sync button. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Sync doesn't show on my mac in preferences, 1password install on my iPhone but no personal folder

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dougkeuneke! Welcome to the forum!

but the personal folder does not appear.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "personal folder"?

1password preferences on mac does not have the sync button. What am I missing?

If the sync tab is not there, it means that you are syncing your data automatically through 1Password.com and you have an account with us. Because sync happens automatically, the Sync tab is hidden by default.

• dougkeuneke
    dougkeuneke
    Community Member
    Options

On my Mac, 1Password shows "personal" under "Doug" The personal folder has my saved data. When I open 1Password on my iPhone it Shows "Doug's Family" but no "personal" folder

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dougkeuneke:

Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like you might have multiple 1Password accounts, one Individual and one Families.

If you want the Personal account on your iOS device as well (like you have it now on your Mac), you need to add this second account to 1Password on your iOS device as well.

• dougkeuneke
    dougkeuneke
    Community Member
    Options

What I want is to share the 1Password data with my wife, so It sounds like I need to change my 1Password account on my Mac to family?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dougkeuneke:

That is certainly one option. The other one would be adding your existing Families account to your Mac too (like you did on your iOS device), move your data from your Individual account to your Families account if there is any data that you need, and then remove the account that you do not need anymore.

Both will work, so it is up to you which method to choose :)

• dougkeuneke
    dougkeuneke
    Community Member
    Options

So how do I add a "family's" account to my Mac

• Ben
    Options

@dougkeuneke

You can find instructions for that here:

Get the 1Password apps

Does that help? Please let us know.

Ben

• dougkeuneke
    dougkeuneke
    Community Member
    Options

Before I do something stupid.....I already have an account, if I install the same app to my mac how do I know it is a "family" account?

• Ben
    Options

@dougkeuneke

My apologies... let's take a step back before we get too far down the rabbit hole. In 1Password > Preferences > Accounts do you see your 1Password Families account? Or do you see the individual account?

If you only see the individual account (not the family account):

1. Add the 1Password Families account by clicking on the + button in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and following the on-screen prompts. You can get the details needed from your Emergency Kit, or from an app you've already added your family account to.
    2. Move your data from the individual account to the family account.
    3. Remove the individual account from the app by clicking on it in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts and then clicking on the - button.

If you see both then you only need to do steps 2 & 3 above. If you see neither then you need to do step 1 for both the individual account and the family account, then follow steps 2 – 3. Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

• dougkeuneke
    dougkeuneke
    Community Member
    Options

Success, I now have a personal and family account on my Mac. The family account has both private and shared folders. Which one do I move my data to?

• Ben
    Options

@dougkeuneke

You'd move any data that you want to share to the Shared vault and any that you do not want to share to the Private vault. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.