"Allow Windows Hello to unlock 1Password" option grayed out on Insider builds [Fixed in 19025]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know!

• ascarter
    ascarter
    Community Member

@bundtkate any updates? Is Microsoft involved? It's a pretty critical impediment to using 1Password.

• No news at present, @ascarter. We know it's a pain, but it's still a beta OS and thus tough to prioritize over other things in need of attention. We've got some folks on a build that does display the issue, so we are investigating, but there is no obvious cause so it will take time. As soon as we know anything of interest, we'll be sure to share. :+1:

• ascarter
    ascarter
    Community Member

Thanks. I realize it is a beta but it's become a blurry line. I'm a developer so it is difficult to not be on the insider builds. But I understand the priorities. Good to hear that you guys have been able to reproduce.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• medmhw
    medmhw
    Community Member

Yes 18990 still not working with windows hello now on build 18990, not been for about 2 months on insiders. Understand the not supporting beta point, but Insider build is a very blurry line as its a perpetual beta program, there will never be an insider build that's not beta and (without wanting to talk for others) there will never be a windows build that we're not on the insider program for. Its also raised in the insiders feedback, with less engagement than there is here, so +1 point for 1password devs.

I'd like to think that beta build of 1password would be able to run on beta build of operating system, its literally the place to get them tested together...

• bpkrueger
    bpkrueger
    Community Member

I am having this same issue. Windows 10 Pro version 1803, OS build 17134.1006.

• The 1Password beta is presently the same as stable since we only recently pushed out a new stable release, @medmhw, but under ordinary circumstances you'd certainly be right to expect to see Insider-focused fixes there first. Betas (and insiders) being what they are, those fixes won't always be immediate and there will be some variability as the result of A/B testing leading to a lag in us reproducing the problem (as was the case early on here), but when a fix is ready for public consumption on a beta OS, our beta is where you'll typically find it.

You're also right that the line is blurry. An Insider problem today has every chance to become a stable problem tomorrow and we are conscious of that, but there's a balance to be struck there, too. Changes that break things are ultimately rolled back fairly often, too, and we don't want to spend tons of resources on fixing something that never goes stable. These issues certainly become a bit more of a specter behind us as we get closer to a stable Windows release, but we've even seen cases where a change that made it all the way through an Insider cycle is scrapped before stable so even a change surviving that long is no guarantee it'll get shipped. Heck, we've done that ourselves where we've had a change in beta that we really really wanted to ship so we gave ourselves as long as was reasonable to get it working and had to give up at the final hour and ship without it. A bit of a tangent there, but in short, you're right and there's a lot to consider when deciding how to approach an Insider issue, but it's definitely something we're conscious of and always keeping an eye on so we can adjust as needed.

Ultimately, our goal is to use Insider likely the same way other developers here do โ€“ so we're aware of issues before they go stable and can fix them before they impact a larger audience. But we also rely on the same feedback chain y'all do when we run into issues. We generally know no more about a problem than you do unless it's something wholly on our end and this (so far as we can tell) isn't that type of issue. We're not sure what's causing this right now and there is a limit to how many resources we can divert from other pressing issues to try to figure it out. All told, there's a chance with any Insider issue that we'll miss that mark, either because we can't track down the problem or we just don't have the development resources to dedicate to it at the time, and this one is no different. For now, we still have time and really do appreciate y'all keeping us in the loop and taking the time to share your feedback. We know missing Hello unlocking stinks and your contributions by running a setup where things like this can break does not go unnoticed. It's also great to hear this has been reported via Insider feedback channels as well. Unfortunate there's not much engagement as yet, but there's time for that to change. If you have a link where others might be able to add their voices, that could be helpful. Like us, I'm sure Microsoft's priorities are influenced by customer feedback as well, so the more folks sharing feedback there, the better I'd say.

It stinks all around, I know, and I'm really sorry. I have a stupidly long Master Password myself and will miss Hello as much as anyone if we aren't able to fix things up so I can't thank y'all enough for your understanding and patience. We've not given up yet and will absolutely keep y'all in the loop should we learn more moving forward.

• medmhw
    medmhw
    Community Member

wow. lot of text! yes the one thing i was sure was that its not from lack of effort on 1passwords part, i was a mac person and the app that's most impressed me that's on windows and mac is 1password - i actually prefer the windows version, more so when windows hello works, its a great implementation and a damn sight easier than my passphrase.

I've flagged it twice in feedback hub, the first one is an add on to someone else's and tagged as a 1password issue, i've done a second one and tagged it as a windows hello issue, to see it gets under the eyes of possibly the right team. its bug-bash week for insider builds so i'll see if i can raise it in the week and get eyes on it. I've not seen many apps use windows hello for unlocking so its probably not got many people there on the case. In some sense its a pity its not a crasher, a trace is a lot easier for both sides to work with.

I don't doubt you basically get the same bullet points of changes to builds as we do, it would terrify me to build an app against the weekly "here's a gif of the new cortana window, off you go!" change log

the feedback links from me and others if any insiders want to winkey-F and +1 or add any detail they may have

https://aka.ms/AA64s18
    https://aka.ms/AA64s1c
    https://aka.ms/AA5xtw5

The insider program has/is morphing radically - it used to be fast ring would become slow then release and then when release came they dropped you in and all was steady sailing again, but its looking increasingly like its its own ahead of time version of windows - i mean what we have now is 20H1 so we'll be testing for a while on this but i get the sense we'll then float magically onto 21H1 very early next year. I don't really mind as the insiders people are very approachable and issues are rare (ish) - i mean the green-screen-reinstall-windows bugs happen very rarely - just the 2 destroyed builds this time for me (!) - but they are generally very, very stable so not much to lose - but its clearly a different cadance and concept now than mac betas, with 3 months of terror and then calm.

• wow. lot of text!

Yea, sorry, @medmhw, I have that habit. ๐Ÿ™ˆ I do try to keep things short sometimes, but I always worry that brevity can be mistaken for a lack of care so how successful I am varies widely. :lol:

Thanks so much for the links too! I usually try to run betas myself, but I've never been quite adventurous enough to run insider on my main PC. Depending on how many folks we've got in our inbox, I often need to work fairly quickly. Even small issues can be a showstopper if they hit at the wrong time so my insider machine is just a VM I use to test when I need to. Y'all have my utmost respect for doing the Windows community that service. ๐Ÿ™‡โ€โ™€๏ธ VM or no, though, I think I still count as an insider technically, so I'll be sure to pile on via Feedback Hub. :chuffed:

Thanks again to you and everyone else in this thread for your patience with us, taking the time to share your experiences, and serving on the front lines as we tackle emerging issues. Y'all make our lives far easier and I don't think we can ever thank you enough. Fingers crossed our voices are heard and we see this sorted out soon. ๐Ÿคž

• Hi guys,

Can anyone with the Insider Release Preview build confirm they're still seeing this issue?

I am not able to reproduce this with the latest Release Preview build; 1909, 18363.418 on my Surface Pro 4.

We did some investigation, it looks like the latest Insider builds (20H1) are reporting an error for anyone using PIN (Hello) but without any actual Hello device, this means Hello may not work anymore in virtual machines. We're investigating to see why.

• Hi again,

We're curious to know if there's anyone that can reproduce this issue on actual hardware using Release Preview Insider builds? We're trying to pin this down but so far, we're not seeing this issue on any actual hardware.

• chronos74
    chronos74
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT - I can confirm this is still happening, running Windows 10 Insider build 19002.1 with 1Password 7.3.712 on an HPE desktop with no Windows Hello camera or fingerprint reader. Windows Hello is enabled with a PIN.

• Thanks. We suspect it may not allow the use of PIN by itself anymore.

• pgrm
    pgrm
    Community Member

@MikeT I have the same windows insider build as @chronos74 and the same 1password version - but I have a laptop with finger print reader which I can use to log into windows but not to unlock 1password

• valorin
    valorin
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

I've got the same problem, I'm on the same build (19002.1), with a hardware finger print reader, but I'm on the Fast Insider builds, not the Release Preview builds. I'm guessing that's why you can't replicate.

@MikeT have you tested the Fast on your hardware?

• valorin
    valorin
    Community Member

I should add @pgrm & @chronos74, can you confirm which Insider builds you're actually subscribed to?

@MikeT did say above they are looking for testers running Release Preview builds, so I'm wondering if we're all on the wrong builds for their testing/compatibility.

• pgrm
    pgrm
    Community Member

oh right @valorin - I'm no fast ring - so I have 20H1 - but @MikeT - this is an issue which is coming up with the next spring release not the autumn update. Even the first person reporting this back in August had 18963 which is part of the 20H1 release. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history for details on windows insider version numbers.

• MikeT
    edited October 2019

Hi guys,

We don't use Fast Ring on our actual hardware, we only use them in virtual machines to avoid breaking our dev machines. While it is possible we could dual boot between both stable and Fast Ring, we don't want to take that risk. In virtual machines, we can confirm Hello doesn't work anymore with Fast Ring. We just don't know why, the error said that Windows can't find the device compatible for Hello.

We have another machine coming in, so we'll try it with Fast Ring soon.

In addition, we're awaiting responses from our Microsoft's contacts.

• stevenhq
    stevenhq
    Community Member

Build 19008, windows hello grayed out. Was working correctly until moving to the fast ring builds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. We're investigating this with Microsoft to figure out what's going on.

• Hey guys,

Just a FYI: kop48 has just updated us that Microsoft has a confirmed fix in progress within their internal branches and it is coming soon to the public branches soon.

• Sean_Xie
    Sean_Xie
    Community Member

same issue on win10 build 19013.vb_release 191025-1609

• We haven't heard from them yet on when this is going to be fixed in public releases, we'll keep you informed if they do let us know.

• I believe today's 19025 build may have a fix for us:

We fixed an issue resulting in Windows Hello authentication not working with certain apps in recent builds.

I'm waiting for it to show up but hopefully this is the fix for 1Password.

• It seems to work for me in 1Password now.

• medmhw
    medmhw
    Community Member

yeah this is fixed by 19025, problem was windows side

• I'm glad to hear it is working now, thanks for the confirmation.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member

Brilliant news! Looking forward to trying it out. Most of all, thanks for those contributors on this thread who kept us up to date - very helpful indeed.

• Yep, thanks everyone for helping us with this and for filing reports with Microsoft as well.

This discussion has been closed.