New PC built for our Mac family.

So my boys and I built a PC and would like to put on 1P on it. We use iCloud to sync the many mac computers that we have 1P version 6 on. My questions:
1. Can a PC be synced via iCloud with our Macs?
2. Would I need to update my Mac 1P version 6 to the newest version 7?
3. Any other options to get 1P Mac passwords synced to the new PC?

Thanks in Advance,

1Password Version: v6 (Mac)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Building a PC with your kids, how fun, @JDLJ850! I love building computers and I can only hope my future children are willing to build one with me one day. I bet that was awesome little project and I hope y'all enjoyed it. :chuffed:

1Password for Windows can't sync with iCloud. 1Password for Mac syncs using iCloud's CloudKit which isn't available on non-Apple devices. Depending on how and when you purchased 1Password 6 for Mac, the most that would be included with your license purchase is 1Password 4 for Windows as that's what was available at the time. If your purchase did include 1Password 4, the best option using your existing licenses would be to sync with Dropbox. My recommendation would be to seize the opportunity to grab 1Password 7 across the board and try out a 1Password membership. This would get you the latest for all of your devices, free you from managing sync yourself, and even allow you to set up separate 1Password accounts for your family members if you'd like using 1Password Families. You can learn more about 1Password membership generally here and 1Password Families specifically here. And, of course, if you decide that sounds like the way to go, I'd be more than happy to help you migrate everything over and get that new PC on board. :+1:

• JDLJ850
    JDLJ850
    Community Member

@bundtkate , thank you for the reply and info provided. If we decide to buy 1P v7 for the PC could I use a thumb drive to somehow get the 1P stored p/w's on the Mac to the PC? The PC is actually more for the boys to do work on for school but sometimes we need 1P on it for other things.
    Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JDLJ850: That's not something we can support, as far as "syncing" on an ongoing basis, but you could always copy the vault (AgileKeychain or OPVault) to a USB drive to just move it over to the new computer to start. If you want to be able to keep the data up to date across your computers and other devices, especially for vaults you want to share, 1Password Families makes it easy: everyone in the family gets their own Private vault, access to a Shared vault for everyone, and then you can also create additional vaults to share with some, all, or none of your family members. You can find a good overview here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

And that way everyone gets the latest version of 1Password for all their devices, without purchasing multiple licenses, etc.: you each just sign into your 1Password account to access your data. Also worth noting, you can also invite people as guests if you want them to have access only to a single vault you share with them. I know a lot of people find that useful for family members who need to help managing their data.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• CurtTerp
    CurtTerp
    Community Member

Another thing to consider, 1Password will not work to fill in passwords when new macOS comes out in a little over a month.

I would strongly suggest investing in 1Password for families. I recently made the switch and now my wife is a part of the family, so she can get into the fun of 1Password.

• Thanks for sharing your suggestions, @CurtTerp! I'm a huge fan of 1Password Families too – I don't think I'd ever have been able to get my folks using a password manager if they had to manage sync themselves so I was beyond thrilled to have a way to help them manage things myself even though we're a few hours apart these days. I'm glad to hear it's working so well for you too. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019

1Password will not work to fill in passwords when new macOS comes out in a little over a month.

*Old versions of 1Password. 1Password for Mac version 7 is ready for Catalina and Safari 13 though, and a membership includes that and any other 1Password updates. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.