How to Sync with Android

Options
JeffOnWire
JeffOnWire
Community Member

So I'm about 2 hours into this now. I really needed a password this afternoon when away from my laptop, so I pulled out my Android with the 1Password app, opened it up, got the password I needed and...it didn't work. Turns out that yet again it hasn't been syncing with the laptop. No password for me! Got home, tried for a half hour or so to get the laptop to sync with the Android. No Joy. Apparently it won't sync because of Dropbox. Finally gave up, broke down and joined the family plan. I guess with the family plan it's supposed to sync without Dropbox. Awesome. Joined the family plan, scanned the thing with my phone, tried to sync again. Still not syncing. Apparently I need to migrate my passwords from 1Password on the Mac into 1Password. Watched a video that's telling me to login to 1Password and a window will pop up and I click it and things will migrate. Logged in. No popup window. Backup plan...manually migrate. Login and click preferences. No preferences link. Tried logging in to 1Password on the Mac. Here I have preferences. Awesome. Something else pops up and tells me I need to update my 1Password. Awesome. Closing 1Password...downloading updates...updating...reopening 1Password. Apparently I now have 1Password 7. Awesome. Preferences > Accounts Icon > Click the + to add. Awesome. Filling in lots of information including 200-digit secret codes. Online address can't be found, try again later. I try this several times. Apparently it can't find online. Searching around for more information on how to sync my accounts between the laptop and the phone.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Trying to add account again. Error message is "No response code from server. Please try again". Trying several times...not working. Canceling out again.

Trying it online again. Following instructions on this page https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device . Once again, no popup to add account. Following a link to "Add it Manually" https://support.1password.com/add-account/?mac

Again can't find preferences on online. Trying on Mac again. Same problem.

Checked the Android again to see if the password has updated. Nope.

All passwords are on the Mac. All passwords seem to be on the Android, but not updating. Not seeing any passwords online.

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member
    Options

Trying to copy items online following this: https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/?mac#move-or-copy-items-in-the-apps. Not understanding how this is supposed to work. Trying to drag items online, but nothing. Giving up for the night.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi @JeffOnWire! Welcome to the forum!

When you try to move items, at what step exactly are you getting stuck? Also make sure that you are doing this from the Mac app, as per the documentation page you linked, as you cannot do this online by dragging on the website.

All passwords are on the Mac. All passwords seem to be on the Android, but not updating. Not seeing any passwords online.

This means that your data is still on a vault outside of your Families account. In order for it to sync automatically, it needs to be migrated first, as you are correctly trying to do. So once that is done, and once you have added your Families account to all your devices, things will sync automatically :)

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member
    Options

Hey thanks,

It's been a while since I've been able to get back to this.
    So I'm following the instructions on this page: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/
    Under a heading "Migrate your data on your device" there is a video.
    Just above the video there is a phrase "Instructions for" and then a number of icons. The "mac" icon is highlighted.
    The video instructs me to sign into my account at 1Password.com. At about 25 seconds into the video a popup dialog appears in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. The video says "1Password will ask if you want to add your new account to the app."
    When I sign into my account at 1Password.com no popup dialog appears asking me if I want to add my new account to the app."
    Below the video there is a heading "If 1Password doesn’t ask you to migrate your data" and there are 2 steps.
    Step 1 instructs me to "Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault, and select a vault in your new account."
    I don't see anything on my screen that looks remotely like "Choose Vault" or "Choose Vault menu" so I'm kind of stuck.
    Below step 2 I see the sentence "You can also move items manually and then remove your old Primary vault," where the words "move items manually" have a hyperlink to this page: https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/?mac#move-or-copy-items-in-the-apps
    I click this hyperlink.
    The hash in the hyperlink takes me to the heading "Move or copy items in the apps" on this page.
    Here I'm instructed to drag items to a vault.
    I don't see anything that looks like this at 1Password.com, so I'm opening 1Password on my computer.
    I see lots of items on the right , but nowhere to drag them to on the left.
    Stuck again.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JeffOnWire:

When I sign into my account at 1Password.com no popup dialog appears asking me if I want to add my new account to the app."

Please add your 1Password account to the app manually in this case.

Step 1 instructs me to "Choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault, and select a vault in your new account." I don't see anything on my screen that looks remotely like "Choose Vault" or "Choose Vault menu" so I'm kind of stuck.

We have a documentation page about that too, but here is a screenshot for your convenience:

You should now be able to select all items with Cmd+A and move them to your Families account ;)

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member
    Options

So I did this, dragged all my password information over to a test vault in the new account then went to sign into 1Password online. The 1Password wouldn't fill in the password (it's now empty) and I don't know what the password is. Asking for help signing into the account is telling me I have to contact the family organizer. That's me. Hoping that all my passwords aren't now locked in an account that I can't unlock. This is really turning into a nightmare.

• JeffOnWire
    JeffOnWire
    Community Member
    Options

OK, was able to transfer passwords back over to the laptop and get into my online account. Trying to transfer them back online. Is there any way to keep them both online and on the laptop? What if I can't get online but still need something I saved there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JeffOnWire: The 1Password apps cache the data locally when you're signed in, so that it can be accessed offline. While most of what we do with 1Password on a daily basis -- namely saving and filling logins -- involves an internet connection, it's definitely critical to be able to access other things even with a poor connection or none at all. :)

This discussion has been closed.