Remove the requirement to re-enter password every two weeks

Michael Paul
Michael Paul
Community Member

What is the point of forcing us to re-enter our master password every two weeks? I find it terribly inconvenient as every time this happens, it seems I'm never in the mood to type my master password in--a series of three randomly generated passwords with lower, upper, numbers and symbols--that I've committed to memory. On a physical keyboard this is not a problem... all the keys are there and I just have to go slow. On an iOS keyboard, though, I have to switch between three keyboards: lower/upper, numbers/symbols, and extended symbols. It's a pain, and I just don't see the advantages of having 1P completely log me out every two weeks. Yes, if you're logged out that's even more secure... but I'm perfectly OK with the tradeoff of using FaceID in the same way/security model that the iPhone uses: you only need to enter the device passcode (for the whole device!) after you've restarted the phone, or after FaceID fails to recognize you twice in a row.

Surely, you can make this "require password after two weeks" thing an option we can enable/disable, no?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Michael Paul
    Michael Paul
    Community Member

Not to mention: if an attacker gets hold of your phone and somehow cracks FaceID, what... you think they're going to wait two weeks to take advantage of that? They'll be done with the download in two seconds.

• Hi @Michael Paul

This is primarily intended so that folks type their Master Password on occasion, so that it is remembered. Touch ID / Face ID is not a replacement for the Master Password. Your data is still encrypted with the latter. That said, this is user configurable. In 1Password under Settings > Advanced > Security there is a 'Require Master Password' setting. Please do be aware though that setting this to 'never' just turns off the timer. It doesn't stop the Master Password from being required if Touch ID / Face ID fails or is otherwise unavailable. There are also some functions that will always require the Master Password.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Michael Paul
    Michael Paul
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben! This helps, and a private support ticket mentioned the same Settings > Advanced > Security path, which I overlooked. Switched it to the same behavior as iPhone (require password after device restart). I will never forget my password, so I do appreciate that this option exists. Excellent!

• Happy to help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.