How do I cause the Mac app to accept the Master Password in my Emergency Kit?

Options
Pickwick
Pickwick
Community Member

The Master Password in my Emergency Kit works fine for online access. However, I've just downloaded the Mac app, and it's asking me for a Master Password that I cannot remember, in spite of the password hint. The same problem happens in the Chrome extension. After looking at some Forum hints here, I made sure that there is no Primary Vault in the account, but I still can't open either the Mac app or the Chrome extension: both of them reject the Master Password from my Emergency Kit, and both then prompt me with the hint for the old password that I cannot remember. What should I do?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:On the Mac app, how do I change its old (and forgotten) Master Password to match the Master Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Pickwick

The "Primary" vault wouldn't appear in your account — it would be in 1Password for Mac. Is all of your data available to you when you log in at https://my.1password.com ? If so please open 1Password for Mac and select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. Then sign in using the details from your Emergency Kit.

Ben

• Pickwick
    Pickwick
    Community Member
    Options

When I log in at 1password.com, everything looks fine. But I cannot open 1Password for Mac. It prompts me for the password that I cannot remember. Therefore I cannot access Help>Troubleshooting, etc.

• Ben
    Options

@Pickwick

You can access the menu without unlocking. :)

Ben

• Pickwick
    Pickwick
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Ben! Amazing what I can find when I let my eyes travel upward! I believe I can manage it from here. Thanks again.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.