[Never show in browser] not working for every item

Options
Ronaldt
Ronaldt
Community Member

I can't figure out why for many items the display option "Never suggest in browser" does not work as expected.

I've tried editing one login I know this is happening with: toggled the display option to "show in browser" > saving it > editing it back to "never show in browser" > saving it.
The problem still exists. I also checked with my colleague and she has the same problem.

I've made a screenshot illustrating it a bit better, I hope.

Kind regards,
Ronald

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (70302004)
Extension Version: 1.16.0
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6 (18G87)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:never show in browser

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Ronaldt

It looks like you're using 1Password for Mac with the 1Password X browser extension. The companion extension, which will obey that setting, is the 1Password extension (desktop app required). Please try uninstalling 1Password X and installing 1Password extension (desktop app required). Both can be found on our downloads page, with the latter (the one you want) being listed first:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Ronaldt
    Ronaldt
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I see, thank you @Ben

Is there a reason for this?
    Will it be implemented in 1Password X on a later date for example?

This 1Password extension (desktop app required) has a lot less features;
    It does not show a the inline-popup in the login form, and it seems like shortcuts also don't work. So I always have a couple of extra clicks with my mouse to log in (which is a bummer for power-users that hate navigation with the mouse haha)

In my opinion it takes away a lot from the usability of the app and I think I'll keep using the 1Password X browser extension. If the [Never show in browser] option is ignored in this, I guess I can live with that if it is by design, Just felt like a bug so I thought I would ask around.

[edit]
    I see there is a "Fill Login or Show 1Password" shortkey in the app preferences. I'll give it a try!

• Ben
    Options

We agree that having two separate extensions with different feature sets is not ideal. It is a point we hope to clear up as we move forward.

Ben

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    Options

Has there been any headway on 1PasswordX respecting this setting? As far as I've been told, that's the recommended extension to use and it's somewhat annoying using it given there seems to be no other way to prevent credit cards from being suggested during many uses.

• Ronaldt
    Ronaldt
    Community Member
    Options

What worked for me for "normal" logins (FTP accounts, in my case) is moving them over to a different Vault and unchecking that complete Vault in the settings. Now I only get results from the HTTP accounts Vault, not the FTP accounts Vault. A bit cumbersome but for me it worked out.

Not sure how to do that with credit cards though...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reub:

1Password X is independent from 1Password for Mac, so it doesn't even look at that setting since it does not communicate with the desktop app. And currently this is not a setting that is available in 1Password X I am afraid.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ronaldt:

Thank you for sharing this tip! Moving credit cards to a separate vault that is unchecked should also work for this.

• reub
    reub
    Community Member
    Options

@Ronaldt Thanks for the tip. I think this may get me halfway there, however, that basically means that I can't autofill my credit cards from 1PasswordX when I want to.

@ag_ana This increasingly feels like a glaring feature gap on 1PasswordX. Is there any way to vote to prioritize this in the backlog?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@reub:

We don't collect user votes, but we do monitor this forum to hear user feedback, so I have noted what you wrote ;)

• ivano
    ivano
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there 👋

Just would like to add that I would also appreciate if the "Never suggest in browser" setting worked in the 1Password X extension.

Thank you.

• @ivano

What about creating a new vault and moving your items to be hidden to that vault. Then hide it from view in 1Password X? One advantage of using this method is that all items you wish to hide are grouped together, and there is no need to edit each one manually.

• ivano
    ivano
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion @ag_tommy. I had thought about it and decided to keep the records as they are now (in one vault) - even they keep showing up (are being suggested). The thing is that I prefer to have things that are related in one place.

But I think that your suggestion can help other people.

• Understood. I wish I had a better option for you.

This discussion has been closed.