Difference between using "Social Security" item vs. adding it as a custom field to an "Identity"?

Bikr
Bikr
Community Member

I'm new to 1Password (and love it so far!) and curious why one would use the Social Security item versus adding a custom field to an Identity? 🤔

I rather have all the personal info like that in one place, but wanted to know if I'd miss something by not using the Social Security type item.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What's the benefit of using the "Social Security" category vs. adding a SS field in an Identity?

Comments

• Hi @Bikr

Identities are fillable items, whereas Social Security Number items are not. I would not recommend storing your SSN on an Identity item, for fear it might accidentally be filled into a form when you didn't intend to share that information. :)

Ben

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Oh, I didn't know Social Security items weren't fillable. Thanks for letting me know. 👍

I'm not concerned about accidentally filling in a field as I always double-check everything before submitting a form. Since I know my Social Security #, the only reason to put it in 1Password would be to speed up filling out forms. Bank applications will typically ask for Social Security and driver's license # along with the usual personal info (name, address, etc.), so it'd be handy in that scenario.

But I can see how the recommendation to not make it fillable, is the safer option. 🙂

• Makes sense. :) :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.