What versions of the apps support old lifetime licenses? (We started with 1P Mac v5 and 1P Win v4)

Hello, Agilebits!

We started with 1P Mac v5 and 1P Win v4 back in the fall of October 2015.
We're a school, and back then we purchased "lifetime licenses" under your education purchase plan.

We've been VERY happy with our purchase—AgileBits rocks—thank you!

In 2019 our team is still the same size—a four person "band."
We're still syncing our vault through Dropbox.
We'd like to onboard a new "band member" who is replacing an outgoing "band member" who left to take a new "gig." :)

Ideally, we'd like to rock out with the latest apps possible and keep running with our old lifetime licenses "...until the wheels fall" off so to speak.

Given all of the above, and our undying love and support...

What are the most current versions of the apps that support old lifetime licenses? (for macOS; Windows; iOS; ...Android)

(From Ye Olde purchase receipt...)

1Password Mac + Windows Bundle (Educational License (1 user))
1Password 5 for Mac (Educational License (2 users))
(And I think I picked up a fourth license in a Parallels Desktop bundle.)

Thank you so much!

Some of your biggest fans,

SS and team in Toronto, Canada

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: osX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:lifetime

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member
    edited September 2

Hi @neptunetech

Thank you for taking the time to write in, and for your long time usage of 1Password! It is great to hear from customers such as yourselves who have been with us for quite a while and are looking forward to progressing with us.

Licenses are sold on a per-person, per-platform, per-version basis. They never expire, so in that way they are "lifetime," but generally they do not include upgrades. We do try to be generous where we can, and so v4 -> v5 -> v6 (on Mac) was all actually included in the same license. The latest version your current license would be good for is 1Password 6 for Mac (and 1Password 4 on Windows, for the bundle license), while v7 is the newest. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows have been retired and are no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. As mentioned above, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you, but getting the latest is going to be the best path. As things continue to evolve around the now retired versions it will be less and less practical to continue using them. For example, the upcoming Safari 13 will be using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with 1Password 6 for Mac. Especially for a group such as yourselves that might like to share some 1Password data, are using multiple platforms, and want to keep up-to-date, membership makes a lot of sense.

I suspect our 1Password Teams offering is going to be the most suitable and economical for your small group, but if you'd like to discuss the various offerings in more detail I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at [email protected]. They'd be in the best position to elaborate and evaluate your specific situation. They'd also be able to discuss any potential promotions or discount opportunities.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Hi, Ben. Thank you so much for your prompt and thorough reply.

With your guidance I think my team is up-to-date as much as we can be for now.

In the meantime we'll consider our options, new version license versus subscription.

A thought / request...

If it were available, and the price made sense over the long run, we would consider a lifetime [edu] subscription if you were to offer one. :)

Cheers,
    SS and team

• brentybrenty

Team Member

As Ben mentioned above, we haven't and don't plan to offer licenses that would include all future updates, as, much like an educational institution paying staff only once for work in perpetuity, that just wouldn't be sustainable. But I'd encourage you to reach out via email as suggested above so we can discuss your school's needs in detail, and see what will work best. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file