iOS wants AppleID password to allow me to open 1Password. That sucks because ...

AlanTheBeast
AlanTheBeast
Community Member

After being forced to reset my iPhone (due to an unrelated app crashing), I wanted to access 1Password.
iOS would not open 1Password unless I first entered the password for Apple ID.
That password, naturally, is under wraps in 1Password.

Catch-22, wot.

I've never had this issue in the past. If this had occurred while I was "on the road" without access to my Mac to get the AppleID password I would have been completely diddled.

This may have occurred following an update to 1Password - I'm not sure.

1Password Version: 7.3.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AlanTheBeast!

After being forced to reset my iPhone (due to an unrelated app crashing), I wanted to access 1Password. iOS would not open 1Password unless I first entered the password for Apple ID.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding this, but how would it even be possible to open 1Password if you reset your phone? Wouldn't the app not even be installed at that point?

Every time you get a new phone, or when you reset your current phone to factory settings, you need to enter your Apple ID before you can install the 1Password app. You could skip that step and add your Apple ID later, but I don't believe you can install any app until you do it.

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member

I should have said "Re-start". ie: hold home and sleep until the device re-boots.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@AlanTheBeast

Thank you for the clarification. Were you able to open any other app on your phone without entering your Apple ID password?

Also, perhaps it's a bit late now, but do you happen to have a screenshot of the Apple prompt that appeared when you tried to open 1Password?

• AlanTheBeast
    AlanTheBeast
    Community Member

Of course and of course not.

Save your breath. This is obviously not going anywhere if nobody else had the same issue.

• @AlanTheBeast

We appreciate the report. If you encounter the issue again and would like to troubleshoot further we'd be happy to do that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.