1password has copied all my items and moved to trash

dorringtonsteve
dorringtonsteve
Community Member

I have over a thousand items in my three vaults using 1Password 7 and family account. For no reason I know, all the items were copied and moved to the trash. It looks like all the items are also still in their proper vaults, and when I restore an item, there are now duplicates in that folder. But I'm just afraid to empty the trash... I have no idea how all my items were copied and moved to trash. I'd feel more comfortable emptying the trash if I knew how I had copied everything and moved those thousand plus duplicates to the trash. All those items show up in the trash when I am on my MacOS 1Password 7 app AND when I log into my account in a browser window. Thanks for the help.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:all items copied and moved to trash

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dorringtonsteve!

Have you perhaps moved these items from one vault to another recently?

• dorringtonsteve
    dorringtonsteve
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,
    Thanks for asking replying. I moved one item recently (not copied but moved) to a different vault. Since it had a document attached to it. I of course had to reattach that file because moved items don’t bring the attachments with them.
    I have been using 1Password daily for years. I am one of the two organizers of or family account. In the past. I have migrated four family members from 1Password 6 to the family account and moved (not copied) contents of multiple vaults to their private and other vaults I set up for them in various combinations of those family members. Of course I removed the the old DropBox synced vaults once they were emptied so their vaults are now exclusively in the family account synced through the 1Password server. I mention all this by way of introduction.
    I have no recollection of selecting all the items in all my five vaults in my family account and copying them to the trash and at the same time leaving a copy in each of those vaults.
    I am befuddled.
    Steve

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@dorringtonsteve:

I have no recollection of selecting all the items in all my five vaults in my family account and copying them to the trash and at the same time leaving a copy in each of those vaults.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean if you moved all of the items to the trash and then moved them to another vault. I just asked if you moved all those items from one vault to another at all, without touching the trash.

The reason I ask is because when you move an item from one vault to another, the "original" item gets moved to the trash in the source vault, so you don't have duplicates. If you see all of your items in the trash of the original vault, I suspect you might have moved your items from one vault to another some time in the past.

• dorringtonsteve
    dorringtonsteve
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,
    That's great info that the item I moved is automatically placed in the trash. Makes complete sense now that I know.
    I migrated to a family account a couple of years ago. I moved one item recently from my private vault to one I share with my sister. As I mentioned, I had to reattach the document that had been attached to the original since that attachment was broken in the move. But I didn't move a thousand items. What I have now it basically a mirror of all the items in my vaults also copied in the trash. My anxiety about emptying the trash is that something horrible hasn't happened that I will also empty all my vaults. Since I have no idea what combination of moves and keystrokes I did to get to this point, I need to hear from someone much smarter about 1Password than me how this could have happened before I empty that trash. Also, now that I think about it, is there a way to restore to a previously saved date in the 1Password server of my data, in case I have a complete meltdown at some point in the future?
    Thanks so much,
    Steve

• dorringtonsteve
    dorringtonsteve
    Community Member

"My anxiety about emptying the trash is that something horrible hasn't happened that I will also empty all my vaults."
    That sentence is nonsensical. What I meant to say is my anxiety is since this situation is so weird that I am afraid to empty the trash until I find out how I got to this point in the first place.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dorringtonsteve:

Emptying the trash will do just that: empty the trash. If you have all your items inside your vaults, emptying the trash will not do anything to them. But if you are scared of emptying the trash anyway, I recommend leaving things as they are. It won't hurt to leave items in the Trash if you are afraid to delete something you shouldn't.

Not knowing when this happened (when the items showed up in the trash) means that it is very difficult for us to know why this happened and we can only offer suggestions. Moving items is one of the reasons, and I personally think that this happened during your account migration. You wrote that you didn't move a thousand items, but you had to do this in order to migrate from your standalone vault to your account vault, so perhaps that's when this happened.

This discussion has been closed.