can't access secret key

Options
vdsijvjiodvdij
vdsijvjiodvdij
Community Member

just set up new account on an ios device.

i wanted to transfer from 1password 4. i need my secret key.

i haven't been sent this. when i click the link to get my key - it asks me for my user name, secret key and master password.

i don't have a secret key. ergo i can't access the page. ergo i can't get my secret key.

this is stupid btw.

been using 1password for a long time. first time poster on the forum

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi @vdsijvjiodvdij! Welcome to the forum!

apparently this chat board is monitored 24/7 so obviously the monitor is super busy.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding: this is not a chat board, it's a public forum, so answers are not immediate. We try to make communicaion as close to immediate as possible though.

We will be happy to help you with this. I noticed that you also sent us an email about this issue. So we don't duplicate the answers, we will get back to you over there as soon as possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We try to offer support across every time zone in the world and day of the week, but even though this might sound obvious, you wrote us on a Sunday, where there are less people online. We also reply to questions in the order we received them, so the speed in the response depends on how many people have contacted us before you and haven't received an answer yet.

Generally speaking, asking the same question in multiple places is not going to help you. If we end up having to reply to you in multiple places, this does nothing but slow down support for both you and everybody else.

And no need to apologize for being disgruntled :)

• Thank you for the feedback, @vdsijvjiodvdij.

Ben

• @vdsijvjiodvdij

I'm sorry that we've been unable to meet your expectations. I've asked my team to review this situation so that we can do better in the future.

Why is the membership rate $3.99 for IOS but $2.99 for Mac version. I am not clear on that.

The former is the rate per month when paying monthly for an individual membership, and the later is the rate per month when paying annually for an individual membership.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

as i noted to Tyler via email - to me it is needlessly confusing to price the same product differently on different platforms. Without doing the math it looks like one is more expensive than the other. presumably your market research people determined this approach would boost sales.

@vdsijvjiodvdij: 1Password memberships include all platforms: all of the apps and updates, built-in sync, automatic offsite backup and item history, etc.

Also as i noted in my reply to Tyler via email - all of this could have been avoided if the email i received upon setting up the account gave me the specific info needed to get my secret key via the settings for the app in iOS. Instead the email had me click a link that took me to a sign in page for 1password.com and put me into a loop.

I'm sorry for the difficulty. I know this isn't exactly what you needed when you needed it, but if you search for "secret key" on our support site, the first result is "Find your Secret Key or Setup Code". That includes the following instructions for locating it on an iOS device:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings, then tap 1Password Accounts.
    3. Tap your account, then tap Reveal Your Secret Key. Or tap View Account Details to see your Setup Code.

That same support article was linked to directly from the auto response you received three minutes after you first emailed us:

as a software company i am not clear to why you are unable to send targeted emails to different segments of your customer base during the onboarding process. Surely your system logs that i have set up my account using iOS and would need the iOS specific workflow to obtain the secret key.

We don't track our customers the way you think, or, frankly, the way many other companies do, expressly because our whole business is based on privacy and security. We intentionally know as little as we can, since that's the best way to ensure that customer data cannot be stolen and/or misused by someone who attacks us, or by a rogue employee.

It's all very well having your support people tell me that i did it wrong - but if I didn't know there was a different way to do it - it's going to be super hard for me to get it right.

You are absolutely right. We're not going to be able to magically put exactly what you need in front of you right when you need it in all cases, or respond as quickly as we'd like every time, but we'll continue to evaluate what we can do to improve on both fronts. Thanks for your honest feedback.

am i completely off base here - it's a this stage where i am questioning myself - did i make all this up - am i just angry for the sake of being angry - i'm not sure - i do know that the steps outlined to successfully access the secret key on iOS were not communicated to me when i set up the account.

They were sent to you when you first contacted us...but you make a really good point: it can be hard to know what you're looking for, to "see the forest for the trees", so to speak, especially when you're confused, frustrated, or angry. I'm sorry that we put you in that position in the first place, and we'll strive to do better.

and this was then compounded by the fact that your support staff took 3 days to get back to me as opposed to the 24/7 service advertised clearly and prominently on your website as part of your marketing materials for 1password memberships.

Indeed, we have staff working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but none of us can be everywhere at once. Writing to you right now means there are hundreds of other people I am not helping at the moment. As with most businesses, having multiple dedicated staff for each customer so that there is someone available exclusively for that one person around the clock isn't feasible. We would have to price 1Password so that almost no one could afford it to finance that kind of coverage. So we have a support team with each of us helping many customers throughout the day, so we try to reply to everyone on a first-come-first-served basis. I think that's fair, but I'm sorry that it meant you had to wait longer than you liked. Just keep in mind that sending multiple messages in multiple places slows down the support process for everyone -- including you.

I'm sorry that you haven't always had a pleasant experience with 1Password, but if you need help with anything else please let us know and we'll do our best to assist you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vdsijvjiodvdij: I don't know what else to say. Ana, Ben, Henry, and I have each apologized to you. Your complaint seemed to be that you could not find your Secret Key, and that you did not get any help with that. I am sorry about that. You were sent this information when you first contacted us though on August 31st though:

Get help

🔑 Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Which includes the following instructions:

Find your Secret Key in the 1Password apps

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Tap Settings, then tap 1Password Accounts.
    3. Tap your account, then tap Reveal Your Secret Key. Or tap View Account Details to see your Setup Code.

But I'm sorry if that wasn't clear, or if you had difficulty for some other reason. I don't know.. If you have further questions about 1Password, please let me know. If, however, you decide to use something else instead, I hope that you find something that meets your standards with regard to security, usability, and customer service. I'd rather you be happy with something else if you'd be unhappy continuing to use 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But my central point is - why doesn't the initial email sent after subscribing contain these instructions in nice big bold letters with a heading and so forth. there should be a section in the onboarding email that says if you subscribed via an app you need to do this to access your secret key - (this is especially relevant to customers like me who have already set up prior accounts using the desktop / browser system as i have an expectation that it works one way but actually that assumption is incorrect - so you have a duty to make the pathway clearer.

@vdsijvjiodvdij: It would be confusing for everyone who did not sign up the way you did though. So we'd sort of be trading one problem for another. Perhaps we can find a clever way to do something like that in the future though. It's something we'll continue to evaluate.

the sad part is - i'm not unhappy with using 1password - i like it a lot and changing applications will be massively disruptive. what i am annoyed about is:
    1. the lack of clear instruction in your onboarding email (i should not have to contact support)

That's completely fair, and we'll strive to do better. We can't go back and change the past, but if there's anything further I can help you with please let me know. Either I'll help you get sorted myself, or if it's something I don't have the answer for I'll get you someone who does. :+1:

1. the lack of 24/7 support contrary to marketing materials. Your lack of support is not my problem . it's a scheduling error by your HR folks.

We do have 24/7 support. We just don't have 24/7 support exclusively for you. We need to help others as well...

1. That when @ag_ana responded the first time - rather than actually help they punted to email and delayed me getting support by another 1-2 days. surely the thing to do would be to say - "Hi there customer i am going to help you here please don't reply to emails."

To be frank, it's not reasonable for us to ignore those who have been waiting longer just because you send us multiple messages via different channels. We need to reply to others who contacted us first. I am sorry that wasn't explicit though, and that you had to wait in the mean time. We'll continue to work to improve our efficiency and response times. I know that doesn't do you any good retroactively, but it's the best we can do is work to do better going forward. Thanks for your honestly, and, if you have any questions about 1Password, for the opportunity to help you now or in the future. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

i'm still not sure why it is so hard to write an email that says, "If you signed up using X then do Y, but if you signed up using C then do D." but clearly it presents some existential problem at your end. you seem to be saying we're willing to accept some people will be confused as long as a majority of users are not.

@vdsijvjiodvdij: In a perfect world, that would be the clear solution. And maybe it would have help you -- though you also conceded that you did not see the relevant information in the response you received "in the fog of trying to get this fixed". I know from experience that you're not alone in that. Heck, it happens to me too. And, similarly, conditional statements confuse a lot more people than they help. But if we can find a reliable way to give people more targeted instructions reliably (and not in a creepy way), I think that could be a win for everyone. :)

You don't have 24/7 support. several people in this thread and via email said things like "It was a sunday" or "it was a holiday" - that is patently an admission that you don't have 24/7 support. Based on their words you could say we have 24/7 support except on holidays and sundays.

Nope. The statement was "you wrote us on a Sunday, where there are less people online. We also reply to questions in the order we received them, so the speed in the response depends on how many people have contacted us before you and haven't received an answer yet." I don't know any way to make it clearer, and I don't know why we're still talking about this, as the past cannot be changed, and the only thing that can be done is to try to do better going forward.

the response times from Tuesday onwards have been great. But Sat night last week, Sunday and Monday were terrible. this isn't about me - it's about your system. it's not my system. i am a user of the system. If i am not getting "Support when i need it" maybe you need to have marketing that says "support when we can get to you" - there is a difference. honestly if your marketing said we'll get back to you M-F from 9am - 10pm i'd be less annoyed than making promises to be there all the time and then walking it back and saying actually we're not here just for you. i'm not stupid i know that. but there's a disconnect between what you're saying in marketing and what your saying here.

I'm not sure what this is even about anymore. Do you need help with something? It seems like we're feeding a fed horse here. And, to be honest, if you don't need help with something, you're just making others wait longer for responses by continuing this.

when @ag_ana responded they could have said - hey there did u get the email from support? - did you scroll to the bottom and look at that bit about the secret key? - you should do that now - the info you need is there - here click this link i'll make it easy for you. problem solved.

No. I don't think it's reasonable for you to expect us to send an email with instructions and then send you additional messages with instructions to read the original email. Sorry. If we did that for everyone (which, it wouldn't be fair if we only did that for you), you and everyone else would have to wait even longer. So I don't think that's really a solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I conceded i had not seen the link to the info in the auto response support email that was sent. My point is that the info i needed should have been in the original email sent when i subscribed. i should not have to get an email from support in order to use the product. the instructions with the product should be sufficient t use it. You don't seem to accept this. your position seems to be that you can't be expected to get it right 100% of the time and support will fix it eventually. which is fair enough. but that's not what it says on the tin.

@vdsijvjiodvdij: I don't believe that we've promised at any point that we could give each individual user exactly what they need to never have to contact us. It's something we'll continue to strive for, but we have to be realistic: sometimes people need support.

i guess i'm still not sold on the idea you have 24/7 support. you don't seem to accept there's a difference between 24/7 support and support that doesn't work on holidays on sundays.

Well,I work on Sundays and holidays, and not infrequently work 7 days in a week (though I don't believe I have ever worked 24 hours straight -- okay, not at this job, at least). So no, I'm not going to be able to accept your statements that are in direct conflict with reality. Also, Ana replied to you both on a Sunday and on a holiday, after all. :)

For example the email i received on 09/03/19 at 11am a full 3 days from my initial request for support says - "NAME here from 1Password, and I'd be more than happy to help! Sorry for my delayed reply—many of us took time off for the holiday weekend."

Yup. Not everyone works every day of the week/year. I take vacations sometimes too, and hope that no one holds it against me.

Taking time off for the holiday weekend is an HR problem not an exaggerated customer expectation problem. Your marketing says and i quote "Friendly 24/7 email support" it also says "The 1Password Support forum is the quickest way to get help. We respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." - so after sending the email to support - given the need for speed i posted to the forum too. then i waited. and waited. and 3 days later i got "help".

1. The forum is the quickest way to get help.
    2. Ana replied to you the same day
    3. You also contacted us via email saying you couldn't find the Secret Key
    4. The email you received 3 minutes later told you where to find the Secret Key

I don't blame Ana for thinking that you already had what you needed, based on what you'd said your problem was, while we helped others who had contacted us before you. But you're right that it might have been helpful if she also included a link to the same support article in her reply to you. I'll talk with her about that, in case it can make a difference for others in the future.

and lest u think this is some trolling operation. i'm not posting here to suck up your time or be a pain. i'd like someone to explain the contradiction between 24/7 support and "we took time off for the holiday weekend." is there a contradiction or not? can red and green be the same and different? It seems to me that you're telling your customers that everyone can take time off for the holiday weekend AND service will continue uninterrupted - both of these can't be true - or can they?

No, everyone does not take time off for holidays/weekends; and yes, service can continue uninterrupted even when some people are away (the 1Password apps work offline even if we do need to take the server down for maintenance briefly, and even that is rare).

maybe this isn't a support thing anymore, maybe i am a fed horse as u put it. i'd like to think though i'm a customer who has a legitimate concern. perhaps there's a better forum for this discussion - you did ask me to post here tho. so here we are. [...] my wife is still overseas. when they get back we'll try and resolve the issue that sparked this.

No problem. We'll be here. :)

This discussion has been closed.