copy vault from hdd to new mac

Options
RoyBolw
RoyBolw
Community Member

I recently upgraded my HDD on my Macbook Pro. I still have the previous HDD intact with all the files as when it was my main OSX drive. I want to export my vault to my new main Mac drive from my previous HDD (now running as an external usb drive). Where can I find the 1Password version 6 vault and import it to my new empty version 7 vault ?

1Password Version: Version 6 and 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: No sync as I'm aware of
Referrer: forum-search:copy vault from hdd to new mac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RoyBolw! Welcome to the forum!

Were you syncing your 1Password data somewhere before you switched hard drives?

• RoyBolw
    RoyBolw
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to sync with iCloud but I'm not sure if it was successful or not. Can I check if something is on the icloud?

• RoyBolw
    RoyBolw
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

x

• RoyBolw
    RoyBolw
    Community Member
    Options

I still have everything available on my iPhone. Can I export from my iPhone and sync to iCloud or Dropbox though my IOS?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RoyBolw:

I tried to sync with iCloud but I'm not sure if it was successful or not.

Do you see all your existing data on your new 1Password 7 app after syncing with iCloud?

• RoyBolw
    RoyBolw
    Community Member
    Options

My new Mac setup is not connected to iCloud since I need to make sure I'm not erasing any of my old data with blank information. Is it possible to copy the vault from my previous main Macbook OSX drive (now an external usb drive) to my new internal OSX drive?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RoyBolw:

Yes, it is possible, but if you were syncing your data previously, that's the way you should configure your new 1Password app, rather than moving the app folder. You mentioned that all your data is still on your phone, which means that you probably are syncing your data somehow, unless you have been entering your information twice (once on your Mac, and then again on your phone).

If you open 1Password on your phone and go to Settings > Vaults > On my phone > Primary, what is the sync method listed there?

• RoyBolw
    RoyBolw
    Community Member
    Options

My iPhone is syncing to iCloud. How do I sync my new and empty 1Password to iCloud without overwriting all my entries?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RoyBolw - it doesn't work like that. If you have an empty Primary vault in 1Password on this new hard drive, syncing with iCloud will import the data, not overwrite existing data with nothing. If you'd like to be extra-sure of that, you can make a backup in 1Password for iOS before you do this: tap Settings > Advanced (down near the bottom of the page), then "Create Backup." This will give you a state to which you can revert if something goes wrong (but it won't). Then, on your Mac, just set your Primary vault to sync with iCloud. The data should be imported. Let us know how that works for you!

This discussion has been closed.