Why do I need 1Password 7?

I've been using 1Password on my Windows, Mac and IOS devices for years. I've just purchased a new PC laptop and when I went to download 1Password on it, I found that everything has changed from the 1Password application I'm familiar with. After reading several articles on the support forum and watching several videos I'm wondering why I would need to download and install 1Password 7. It seems like everything is web-based now.

Also, if I do need to install 1Password 7 on my Windows machine, do I need to install it on all my Windows machines as well? My Agile keychain is currently on my Dropbox. Will I be able to import it from there?

1Password Version: 4.
Extension Version: 4.6.2.626
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Personally, I don't have the app installed on my Windows PC anymore, as I am comfortable with the browser extension (1Password X beta). But I used to use it for some time: Only the app allowed me to batch delete items - using web/extension, you can only move a single item to Trash at the same time. Also, I guess this depends if you will be using a license for a standalone app and a local vault, or a subscription.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi folks,

With a 1Password membership it is certainly possible to use 1Password without installing the native apps. That said, the native apps do provide a rich experience that isn't currently possible through the website & browser extension (1Password X) alone. Also, if you have data to migrate from a standalone setup (as @Red_Ryder65 does) then you'll almost definitely need the native app to perform that migration. Also just to be sure we're on the same page: membership includes the latest versions of all of the native 1Password apps. You do not have to pay for them separately.

In short: I would (and do) use the native apps with membership.

Does that help?

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file