1Password7 for Mac won't accept my Master Password

Options
tessahowlett
tessahowlett
Community Member

The 1Password7 application for Mac will not accept my Master Password. However, I am able to access my account online and through the iPhone app. I have tried un-installing and re-installing the application but nothing will work. Also, I am using a family plan but I'm unsure if this is impacting my issue at all.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Mac won't log in

Comments

• krusnof
    krusnof
    Community Member
    Options

Are you 100% sure you're logging in with the right address and security key?

• Hi @tessahowlett

If you have a standalone vault in 1Password then the app will only unlock using the Master Password for that standalone vault, regardless of what if any 1Password membership accounts you've added. If there is nothing currently stored in the Mac app that isn't on 1Password.com you can reset the app using the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data option from the menu bar at the very top of your monitor. Note that uninstalling/reinstalling 1Password for Mac has no effect on the stored data or preferences.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• jshortjr
    jshortjr
    Community Member
    Options

I take it that you are using the same password for the app that you are using to access your account online?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @jshortjr! I suspect in this case there might be two different Master Password though ;)

• jshortjr
    jshortjr
    Community Member
    Options

I should have been more clear. When I first migrated to to a 1Password account, I did not realize that it changed the Master Password on my Mac and I attempted to use my old password for a while without success. I ultimately figured it out. I wondered if @tessahowlett might be experiencing the same thing. I hate to suggest that someone might be as slow as I, but you never know!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jshortjr - thanks for the tip/suggestion! You're not "slow," it can be a little confusing sometimes, migrating from one way of using 1Password to another. We try to make it as frictionless as possible, and we're here to help however we can if anyone gets stuck. :)

As it happens, I suspect ag_ana is correct -- in 1Password, we only ask you for ONE Master Password (hence the name ;) ). Here's how it works:

• If a Primary (standalone) vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in -- even if those memberships use different Master Passwords
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

I'm guessing tessahowlett may be falling into the second first category here - 1Password for Mac has an old standalone Primary vault, and it is this older Master Password that needs to be entered, not the one for her 1Password account. But we won't know unless we hear back from her. Tessa? Are you still here? If you're reading this, click 1Password > Preferences > Vaults and see if there's a vault called "Primary." If so, we'll probably want to move this conversation to email to help you get all your data squared away. Let us know!

• tessahowlett
    tessahowlett
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben! The reset all 1password data worked perfectly! Thank you for your help, I am so happy it is up and running smoothly now!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

And thank you to everyone else who chimed in on this thread to help!

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.