Can I restore an older version of a vault?

Options
xz4gb8
xz4gb8
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Mac

In the olden days, I could restore a 1Password vault from Time Machine or other backup. This was very useful, especially with 'helpful' clients who changed their master password but did not save it in another secure location.

Today I have an older client using a vanilla subscription who changed the master password, immediately forgetting it. (This is a client who came kicking and screaming into using 1Password.) Is it possible to restore an older vault instance as we used to do with standalone vaults? Or do I simple write off this client as a 1Password user because of reluctance to repeat the data entry effort?

If use of exported vault contents is the only way to recover this, it would be appropriate to note this in your documentation.

1Password Version: Current
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Mojave, current
Sync Type: AgileBits Cloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @xz4gb8 - I'm not sure what you mean by a "vanilla subscription," but if your client has a 1Password account and they've changed the Master Password, if they're part of a 1Password Families or 1Password Business account, the Family Organizer or Administrator can help put your client through the recovery process. If it's an individual account, though, that option isn't available and unfortunately the outlook gets much dimmer. It's not much different from the days of standalone 1Password, where, if you forget your Master Password, we can't be of any assistance in helping you recover it.

The one exception to that, with standalone 1Password data, is - as you mentioned - if you have a backup that pre-dates a changed Master Password. Any backups from before that time can be restored and will use the older Master Password. In a 1Password account, however, this isn't the case: in an individual account situation, a forgotten Master Password means lost access to the data.

Does your client still have access to the data on any other device(s), possibly ones that (s)he can use Touch ID or Face ID to access? If so, there are options such as exporting data to .1pif and starting over with a new account, or creating a new account or standalone vault and adding it to the app, then transferring data between vaults, becomes a possibility.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.