Can't Sign into my 1 Password Account

Squeeky46
Squeeky46
Community Member
edited September 2019 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

In 2016, I purchased 1Password for both my Mac and PC. On my Mac, I'm using 1Password 6, on my PC, 1Password 4.

I had an issue on my PC that required me to reset it, which meant reinstalling 1 Password 4 which I did without an issue and linked it to my dropbox vault. I have access to my vault.

What I can't do is reinstall the Firefox extension because when I put the requested info in: Email, Secret Key, and Master Password, I get a message that: My email Address, Secret Key or Master Password is not correct. I figure that my email and master password are correct, as I use them all the time especially the master password. The secret key is something I've had since I originally purchased 1Password and it starts with "A3-"

Then I tried to sign into 1Password.com on my Mac, could not for the same reason as above My email address, secret key, or Master password is incorrect. Just to reconfirm, I have access to my vault and this software is functioning, except when it comes to installing an extension in my browser on my PC, because... I can't sign into my account.

So, on my Macto sign in, I found the directions to use my 1Password app, by going to Preferences to sign into my account there, and it's telling me that my Sign-In Address is incorrect. I had no clue what that was, so I went to the page at 1Password to get my account info, and I received an email that said my Sign-In Address is: "https://my.1password.com" so I tried both that and "my.1password.com" and neither work. Under the Mac 1Password 6 App- Preferences I have entered my Sign-In Address, email, secret key, and master password, and the message is Sign-In address and the message in Sign-In Address is not valid.

At this point, I'm frustrated. Two things here, not having phone support sucks. You need some.
Secondly I'd consider upgrading to 1Password 7, if 1) I could sign into my account and 2) If it can be purchased without a subscription, like when I made my original purchase. I hate subscriptions and this seems to be all the rage in Mac and PC utilities, just a way to milk more money out of customers.

So please help. I don't see my secret key as in error, unless somehow I copied it wrong. I have a file where I keep this kind of info. I don't ever remember being offered an emergency kit and don't have one. It's ironic that I have 2 working versions of 1Password, but that I can't log into my account because something, is screwed up. Yes, it is possible, I don't have my secret key recorded correctly, but It was recorded in 2016 with my original purchase and I assume if I had to use it at some point, it worked before because I was able to sign in at one point.

What next? Thanks

1Password Version: Mac6, PC4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Squeeky46: It doesn't sound like you have an account. Have you been paying for a 1Password membership subscription? Unless you are, you wouldn't have an account, Secret Key, Emergency Kit, etc. Rather, it sounds like you purchased licenses for the standalone 1Password apps, and then you'd be using them without an account. A membership would be a good option for you going forward though, as it includes all the apps and updates. We can't discuss sensitive purchase/account details here in a public forum, but if you'll shoot us an email at sales@1password.com with your receipt(s) we can help. :)

• Squeeky46
    Squeeky46
    Community Member

Brenty, thanks for the reply.

In 2016, I purchased the 1Password product without a subscription for both Mac and PC. I have an account to sign in at 1password.com, and I have a key that starts with A3-, which I believe is the secret key which is referenced. Also when I first purchased the software, I had no issue setting up browser extensions, but something has changed since then and now when installing a browser extension, I'm being asked to provide 3 things, email, secret key, and master password. It did not used to be like that. Installing a browser extension was not an issue before as it is now.

My impression is that this issue with installing a browser extension is part of your company's plan switching to a subscription service. Also the idea of punishing customers who just want the license, but don't want a subscription, seems to be a move in the wrong direction. I'm not doing that, there are cross platform alternatives to 1 Password that are not subscription based that I am currently investigating.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to stick with 1Password, but this subscription mania sweeping computer utility companies just sucks, and I am resisting it as much as possible. :|

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Squeeky46: Thanks for the additional details. There's definitely some confusion/conflation here, so I'll add clarification where appropriate:

In 2016, I purchased the 1Password product without a subscription for both Mac and PC.

That would be a license for a specific version of 1Password -- whichever you purchased. it will not apply to other versions, but you can continue using the license with that version as long as you have a compatible machine to run it on. No problem there, just for context with the following:

I have an account to sign in at 1password.com, and I have a key that starts with A3-, which I believe is the secret key which is referenced.

That does sounds like a Secret Key for a 1Password account, but that will be completely unrelated to any license purchase, and will really only be of use to you if you have an active subscription for the account -- which it sounds like you do not. Without a subscription, the account is "frozen" (i.e. read only). So, if you are not subscribed, not being able to sign into the account is probably not really a problem, as presumably you have your data in a local vault you've been using all this time (you wouldn't have been able to add, edit, or fill anything using a frozen account).

Also when I first purchased the software, I had no issue setting up browser extensions, but something has changed since then and now when installing a browser extension, I'm being asked to provide 3 things, email, secret key, and master password. It did not used to be like that. Installing a browser extension was not an issue before as it is now.

That sounds like you're installing 1Password X which is an extension that runs entirely in the browser, and cannot work without an account. You can install the appropriate desktop app/extension instead, since that would be what you paid for with a license:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

My impression is that this issue with installing a browser extension is part of your company's plan switching to a subscription service. Also the idea of punishing customers who just want the license

Nope. But 1Password X (which did not even exist in 2016) could not have been built without both the technology we've developed for 1Password memberships, and also the funding that those provide; so it is only available with those. You can continue using what you paid for though: the standalone app without an account, and use a local vault there. It sounds like you've already got that under control, and that the confusion was about the account, which is not relevant to any license you purchased; but if you have further questions just let me know. :)

This discussion has been closed.