Is there automatic 1Password Account syncing after using the 1Password application (Mac) offline?

Options
Fort_Wayne_Frank
Fort_Wayne_Frank
Community Member

I have a hardware button which disconnects the ethernet cable to the computer. Before 1Password7 (and my now using a 1Password Account) I did not have to think about its effect on the data. Since I don’t see a way to backup the 1Password data to my local computer (any backup function resides with the 1Password Account) I have to be sure that any changes I make while offline are sent during the “handshake” which the (Mac) 1Password application makes with the 1Password Account when I go back online.

Are ALL the changes I make during multiple offline sessions communicated to the 1Password Account when I log into that account (using the 1Password application) when subsequently connected to the internet?

Do I have to make sure that all offline changes are made on only one computer, and are thus cumulative on just that one machine?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Automatic 1Password Account syncing after using 1Password offline.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fort_Wayne_Frank!

Yes, all changes that you make in 1Password when offline will sync automatically as soon as you go back online ;)

Do I have to make sure that all offline changes are made on only one computer, and are thus cumulative on just that one machine?

I am not sure I understood this part of the question, can you please elaborate a little bit?

• Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Community Member
    Options

I use 1Password7 with a 1Password Account on multiple Macs. Suppose I am using my MacBook Air when not connected to the internet and change some data in the main vault, stay offline and shut the machine down. Later that day I then use 1Password7 with the 1Password Account on my desktop iMac, again while offline, make some changes to the same vault but a different record, stay offline, and shut off the iMac. So now there are some changes to the vault in the MacBook Air (earlier) and some in the iMac (later) that neither of which the 1Password Account has yet received. So I turn on the iMac, go online, open 1Password7 and the 1Password account syncs with the iMac. But now I go to the MacBook Air, go online, open 1Password7 and the 1Password account syncs with the EARLIER changes still on the MacBook Air. I guess I want to know if the 1Password account will sync those earlier changes (MB Air) without overwriting the later changes (iMac)... in other words will the sync only change each specific record and not the whole vault..... or perhaps if the best thing to do is always go online momentarily and allow the 1Password account to sync before shutting it down.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the clarification @Fort_Wayne_Frank. The sync service should be smart enough to understand what changed and when, so when your MacBook Air will go online, it should sync properly because the changes have been propagated to the server already from your iMac.

• Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Community Member
    Options

Good, now I won't worry about that anymore.
    Thank you very much, and have a great day!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! And you have a great day too :)

• Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Community Member
    Options

Another question. As I mentioned, I prefer to use 1Password offline even though I have a 1Password account. What I would like to do is sign into my 1Password 7 Application, make some changes, then press the physical button I have which connects a ethernet cable to my computer, and THEN close the 1Password 7 Application.... hoping that it at that time syncs with my 1Password account. This makes it so when I enter my master password it cannot be intercepted because I am not yet online, but when the 1Password 7 App closes it can sync with my 1Password account to save the changes. Is this possible?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fort_Wayne_Frank - the 1Password.com sync service is very savvy, but it's not bulletproof and it can't account for everything. Though there are multiple checks and fail-safes built into how, when and what 1Password syncs, if you intentionally put roadblocks in the way of the sync notifier communicating with the the 1Password.com servers, you're increasing the likelihood that something will go wrong depending on how you do it and how invasive you make the hardware/software blocking/barriers. Our recommendation would be to not do this, as it's full of variables we can't control for.

It's also an unnecessary step: your Master Password is never transmitted to us in any form, whether via the app or even in a browser at https://my.1password.com because of a protocol we use called Secure Remote Password. If you'd like a fuller, technical explanation of how SRP allows us to never transmit your Master Password "down the wire," I'd recommend our full 1password.com security white paper, particularly Appendix B on page 57, entitled "Secure Remote Password." Hope that's helpful.

• Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Fort_Wayne_Frank
    Community Member
    Options

Your response is very helpful, I will read Appendix B of the white paper. Thank you very much for your time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad Lars was able to help, and we're here if you have any questions. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.