Keyboard Shortcut Conflict with Xcode

Options
marcisme
marcisme
Community Member

The keyboard shortcut for adding and removing breakpoints in Xcode is the same as the shortcut to fill passwords with 1Password - ⌘-\. Historically this has been fine, but recently 1Password started responding to its shortcut outside of web browsers, which makes it interfere with Xcode.

Is this a bug? I assume it's now a global shortcut, but I'm not familiar with how those are implemented, so I have no idea if it's possible to detect conflicts or get out of the way for specific apps.

If this was an intentional change, is there any way to get the old behavior where the keyboard shortcut only works in web browsers?

So far I've tried adding App Shortcuts for adding/removing breakpoints in the Keyboard preference pane, but that didn't work. Xcode itself usually detects conflicts, but it doesn't show one for this shortcut. As far as I can tell there's no menu item to target in Safari or Chrome that would allow me to create app-specific shortcuts there instead of letting 1Password manage the shortcut. Disabling "Show 1Password in the Menu Bar" had no effect. Disabling "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" did "fix" the problem, but then filling in web browsers doesn't work.

Your help with this would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Keyboard Shortcut Conflict with Xcode

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marcisme!

1Password can now fill your logins in apps too, so the keyboard extension will work even outside of web browsers. I don't believe there is a way to disable thi and go back to the old behavior.

Since you cannot have two different apps using the same keyboard shortcut, you will either have to change the shortcut in Xcode, or in 1Password (which you can do under 1Password Preferences > General tab).

• marcisme
    marcisme
    Community Member
    Options

For anyone else affected by this problem, I was able to fix it by setting the keyboard shortcut for "Fill Login or Show 1Password" to a more complicated combination of keys and then creating an application-specific mapping from ⌘-\ to that shortcut with Karabiner Elements using the configuration below. I didn't try them, but I'd imagine similar tools like BetterTouchTool, Hammerspoon, or Keyboard Maestro would also work.

{
        "description": "1Password in Safari and Chrome",
        "manipulators": [
            {
                "conditions": [
                    {
                        "bundle_identifiers": [
                            "^com\\.apple\\.Safari$",
                            "^com\\.apple\\.SafariTechnologyPreview$",
                            "^com\\.google\\.Chrome$"
                        ],
                        "type": "frontmost_application_if"
                    }
                ],
                "from": {
                    "key_code": "backslash",
                    "modifiers": {
                        "mandatory": [
                            "command"
                        ]
                    }
                },
                "to": [
                    {
                        "key_code": "backslash",
                        "modifiers": [
                            "left_command",
                            "left_option",
                            "left_control"
                        ]
                    }
                ],
                "type": "basic"
            }
        ]
    }

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! Indeed, 1Password's keyboard shortcut is meant to be global. Usually that's no problem since the shortcut can be changed, but I'm glad that you were able to come up with something that fits your workflow. Cheers! :)

• JackoB
    JackoB
    Community Member
    Options

This seems like a substantial regression: we now need a 3rd party kernel extension to prevent 1Password for clobbering a common keyboard shortcut used in other applications!?

Can you please prioritize a fix to this regression so we the autocomplete shortcut just works in our web browsers? This is how many of us have used 1password for years.

Otherwise we'll need to install a kernel extension per the previous comments or switch to an obscure global shortcut.

Reflecting on my workflow: I autofill passwords in my browser may times per day. I might want to autofill a password outside of my browser once a quarter or less -- it's not a useful feature for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share your thoughts about this @JackoB! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

(And welcome to the forum :) )

This discussion has been closed.