Generated Password Cleanup?

mdsvks
mdsvks
Community Member

Is there a way to auto-delete generated passwords that clearly have login-equivalents, where the password and domain match?

It’s a small housekeeping issue, but in the current workflow I generate a new password when registering for a site, and then 1Password helpfully offers to create a new login entry for me. This results in redundant entries.

I would like to a) prevent this from happening but also b) clean up the existing dupes.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:generated

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @mdsvks

Yep, there certainly is. Open up 1Password and click Help>Tools>Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. That should clean them all up for you nicely.

• mdsvks
    mdsvks
    Community Member

Magic! Thank you, @Corey_C .

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

My pleasure, @mdsvks, happy to help. :)

• sdg
    sdg
    Community Member

Hey there, having this problem too, and found this solution. I've had 266 of these orphaned passwords, and this clean up tool took care of 28. There are definitely more that seem to meet the criteria, same domain, same password, one entry also has the login name. Are there any known issues with this tool, or anything else to try?

Also, it seems like sometimes extra passwords get saved (for example, when creating a password, and it doesn't match the site's criteria for passwords, and I have to create it again). What's the best way to clean those up?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sdg:

Are there any known issues with this tool, or anything else to try?

I am not aware of issues with this tool, but if you see that it is not removing password automatically for you, you will have to move the remaining ones to the trash manually.

• typ993
    typ993
    Community Member

I second the suggestions of @sdg, I see many of the same issues in my vault. Maybe put this on the new feature list?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @typ993 :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.