7.3.712 - windows 10 - can't install

1password (win installation, family subscription) complained about not updating on my work computer. I had similar problem on my private computer some days ago, and solved that one by uninstall + delete 1P folder inside %localappdata% (tip from other forum posts), and then install - that worked.

Doing the same on my work computer = don't work. I've unistalled, deleted the 1P folder in localappdata, and can't install current one (7.3.712) again. I've also tried to install with admin rights (right click on file, run with admin rights). I have full admin rights on work computer btw.

error message 1P installer gives is: "1password was unable to complete installation and will roll back any changes."

Help! :) I need access to 1P....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Most of these issues are the result of anti-virus interference, @rr4242, and that's certainly something more common on a work computer. Before I dive in to that, though, don't install 1Password as admin. Depending on the version you're coming from, it may request admin access as needed for this update only, but as a rule installing as admin is going to cause more issue than it solves.

With that said, best thing to do here is take a closer look. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

Don't share your diagnostics here (this is a public forum), but instead attach them to an e-mail to support+windows@1password.com and include a link to this thread in the body of that message. I'll take a peek and let you know about next steps. :+1:

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member

The link you provided to create a diagnostic report need to have 1P installed... And as I currently don't have it installed, and I can't do a new install (see above). Not possible to create a diagnostic report the way you pointed me to. Any other way?

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member

btw, regarding the admin access on install. I've tried with and without.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rr4242,

If you tried installing 1Password 7, but bumped into the errors, please tell us if you see any setup logs in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\setup\. If you do, please attach those files to the email addressed to support+windows@1password.com.

Let us know what you find. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member

Email sent with log file and comment pointing back to this forum thread.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@rr4242: Have you received a Support ID number in a email auto-reply? If you have, please share it with me here. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member

7 hours now, and I’ve got no reply yet

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member

I’ve re-sent the email now

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rr4242,

Found it! We will take a look and get back to you via email soon. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: CUG-77438-749

• alex4814
    alex4814
    Community Member

Hello, I got the same error.
    Below shows the log in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\setup\

[2019-09-24 10:33:29.497312 +08:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:354: starter 7.3.712
    [2019-09-24 10:33:29.497312 +08:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:355: Setup logs path set to : C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2019-09-24 10:33:29.671740 +08:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:136: failed to remove C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\app\writecheck. Error: 系统找不到指定的路径。 (os error 3)
    [2019-09-24 10:33:29.674726 +08:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:136: failed to remove C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\previous\writecheck. Error: 系统找不到指定的路径。 (os error 3)
    [2019-09-24 10:33:29.677721 +08:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:136: failed to remove C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\update\writecheck. Error: 系统找不到指定的路径。 (os error 3)
    [2019-09-24 10:33:29.678721 +08:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:174: Copying files to C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\update
    [2019-09-24 10:33:30.125363 +08:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:178: Renaming C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\previous
    [2019-09-24 10:33:30.297056 +08:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:186: Renaming C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\update to C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\app
    [2019-09-24 10:33:30.299055 +08:00] ERROR [starter::transaction] starter\src\transaction.rs:54: failed to rollback rename of C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\app to C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\previous. Error: Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "系统找不到指定的文件。" }
    [2019-09-24 10:33:31.125398 +08:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:96: failed to move app files. Error: Error { action: "renaming folder", error: Io(Os { code: 5, kind: PermissionDenied, message: "拒绝访问。" }) }
    [2019-09-24 10:33:38.148865 +08:00] INFO [starter] starter\src\main.rs:271: starting C:\Users\frsn5903\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe --setup..
    [2019-09-24 10:33:38.149864 +08:00] ERROR [starter] starter\src\main.rs:110: Failed to start previous app. Error: Error { action: "failed to start app", error: Io(Os { code: 2, kind: NotFound, message: "系统找不到指定的文件。" }) }

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@alex4814: Do you use any kind of AV/anti-malware software on your PC? If you do, please try to whitelist 1Password and its app directory %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password on your side and let us know if the issue remains. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• rr4242
    rr4242
    Community Member

Just an update: as disscussed on emails, the Antivirus could be the cause. A temporary deactivation of it enabled installation of 1P, so it was time to hunt down how to whitelist 1P in the AV. 1P support team pointed out where to look, and we have now after a 2 weeks finaly got it working. Yes, it was some settings in McAfee AV that was needed. Meanwhile I've been using 1P as 1P browser version (1P X) + iOS.

In my case (and probably for other people too) I had to involve IT department where I work to get this working.

To 1P team: You should look into why this happen, because I've now used 1P on work computer for almost 3 years - and things like this didn't happen before. More security? Well, it might block stuff. And not everyone will be able to convince IT department to 'open' up for apps...

• Ultimately this happens as a result of how AVs function, @rr4242. They're looking for behavior typical of malware in addition to known malware and any app can end up caught in that net depending on what behaviors AVs are looking for. What 1Password does when updating is pretty basic – we replace the old files with new ones. If that alone is tripping alarm bells, this may not be something we can solve fully on our own. Now, with that said, one thing we think is upsetting McAfee in particular is something we can solve on our own – using the temp folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%. That's something we plan to move away from in future versions. That should at least lessen these issues and may resolve them entirely, depending on your particular version of McAfee's beef.

We understand this isn't ideal by any means. Every update – both to 1Password and McAfee – comes with some risk of problems we thought were solved coming back. For folks able to whitelist themselves, that's not necessarily a huge deal as whitelisting once should have it sorted for the future, but you're absolutely right that folks using their personal 1Password at work have different challenges. This was also one motivator behind 1Password X – the knowledge that, on occasion, this will be an unsolvable problem. A browser extension is a much less prone to run afoul of security tools, even in the most restricted environments, so beyond being a great solution for many in and of itself, it's a perfect fallback when the desktop app simply can't work in a given environment.

We have a number of things in mind to put this round of issues to bed, but as many have noted this isn't a constant problem. It comes and it goes as things change and that's something that seems likely to continue. AVs need to evolve to do their job and as they do, they identify new threats that can catch new legitimate tasks along the way. Achieving and maintaining that goal of seamlessly working together with AVs is certainly something we'll continue to work hard on, but unless we're able to get permanently whitelisted in AVs, this is something that will probably continue popping up. For those unable to whitelist 1Password themselves, that means 1Password X is likely the best option where available, and for those for whom that isn't an option, we'll continue plugging away. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.