Safari extension will not download

Options
jkitchens
jkitchens
Community Member

When I go to Safari extensions and select 1Password, the cloud symbol appears. When I click on it, the download begins. Then a window pops up saying 1Password cannot be open during the setup. In fact it's not open. I click continue and nothing happens.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @jkitchens

Where are you going to do this? There is no more separate Safari extension for 1Password. The Safari extension is included as a part of 1Password 7 when you download it. Do you currently have 1Password 7 installed?

• jkitchens
    jkitchens
    Community Member
    Options

I'm going to Safari and then selecting Safari Extensions. I do have 1Password 7 installed but not loaded. So you're saying I don't need the extension. If I have 1Password 7 loaded and go to a website, how do I get 1Password 7 to remember login information for the website? And when I pull up this website another time, will 1Password 7 automatically fill in the login information?

• jkitchens
    jkitchens
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confused because there absolutely is a 1Password 7 extension for Safari. As I mentioned before, it shows up when I pull up Safari Extensions from the Safari menu.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jkitchens

So, when you open up Safari and click Safari>Preferences>Extensions, 1Password is not in that list or it is but cannot be activated?

In that case, up in your top menu, near where the wifi indicator and such are is a 1Password icon. Click it and, once unlocked, click the gear button in the top right, then "Close 1Password Completely".

Then head over to https://1password.com/downloads/mac/ to download and reinstall 1Password. Then restart Safari.

• jkitchens
    jkitchens
    Community Member
    Options

And can you help me with my subscription? This afternoon I downloaded the iOS app and signed up for the $3.99 per month plan. Later I researched online and noticed a $2.99 per month personal plan and a $4.99 per month family plan. What I'd like to do is try the service out for a month and if I like it, to switch to the family plan. Can I switch from the $3.99 plan to the family plan?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jkitchens

Yes, you absolutely can. Although if you have billing set up through an Apple Subscription then it will take a few extra steps involving cancelling the Apple subscription and switching to direct billing that we will have to help you with if you want to make the switch.

• jkitchens
    jkitchens
    Community Member
    Options

When I open up Safari and click Safari>Preferences>Extensions, 1Password is not in that list. However when I click Safari>Safari Extensions, a window pops up listing extensions, including 1Password 7. Just below the name 1Password 7, a wheel is spinning. If I shut my computer down and restart, then go through the same steps, I see the cloud icon indicating the extension is in the cloud. When I click it, the circle starts to rotate clockwise from 12 o'clock. However before it complete the circle, I get the message that 1Password 7 needs to be closed down before the extension can be downloaded. When I click continue to indicate my wish that the application be closed and the download completed, nothing really happens. The circle just looks like a spinning wheel.

I don't see a 1Password icon near the wifi indicator. I see icons for other applications. Just not one for 1Password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jkitchens:

You can disregard Safari Extensions: as Corey mentioned, there is no need to install the 1Password extension from there.

Can you please post a screenshot of what you are seeing in Safari Preferences? This is what I see when I go to Safari Preferences > Extensions tab here:

I don't see a 1Password icon near the wifi indicator. I see icons for other applications. Just not one for 1Password.

If you open 1Password Preferences > General tab, is the option named Show 1Password in the menu bar enabled?

• jkitchens
    jkitchens
    Community Member
    Options

In 1Password Preferences > General tab, Show 1Password in the menu bar is enabled.

See my screenshot. 1Password is not listed.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@jkitchens

Have you tried reinstalling 1Password from our website, as I suggested earlier?

• kamiobi
    kamiobi
    Community Member
    Options

Just updated to Mac 10.14.6 (18G95) and got a new version of Safari (Version 13.0.1 (14608.2.11.1.11) it seems. The first time I tried to use 1Password (Version 7.3.2 (70302004) I got this message in Safari telling me to install the Safari extension.

I came here looking for an answer and found this thread. I will try to redownload 1Password 7 and see what happens.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@kamiobi: If you go to Safari Preferences > Extensions like it suggests, what do you see there?

Edit: I noticed you had a newer version of Safari than me, and I guess there's an update today. I'll see if that makes any difference here...

• kamiobi
    kamiobi
    Community Member
    Options

There were no extensions, but when I clicked on more extensions at the bottom of the window it brought up the app store with this window.

Clicking on it didn't do anything, so that is why started looking for a solution here.

I followed the earlier advice and downloaded 1Password 7 again and now I see this in the extension window.

Things seem to be back to normal.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kamiobi: Yeah don't click on that "cloud download" icon. That's going to have the App Store try to install 1Password 7 over 1Password 7, which will almost certainly just fail. Anyway, thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that Safari loaded the extension for you. :)

• astoller
    astoller
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue - I was going to re-download 1Password-7 but I was confused by an article in the forum or FAQ (forget which) that indicated when you uninstall 1P-7 it would remove all your password data - which I do not want to do! Can I just download and re-install 1P-7 directly on top of the existing installation (e.g.: "replace") and have it do "the right thing"?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@astoller:

I was confused by an article in the forum or FAQ (forget which) that indicated when you uninstall 1P-7 it would remove all your password data - which I do not want to do!

Do you still remember where exactly you read this? I would like to take a look at that, if possible.

Can I just download and re-install 1P-7 directly on top of the existing installation (e.g.: "replace") and have it do "the right thing"?

Yes, you can install a new copy of 1Password 7 over the existing one, if you prefer.

• astoller
    astoller
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, don't remember where I saw that - it might have been a different thread than this topic (of which there were many)

Now I'm confused about how I download a fresh copy. Can I download the "Try 1Password Free" and have it install over my existing copy, preserving the key and data? Or is there someplace else from which I should download it?

I believe I got it from the App Store last time (as it shows the cloud-download icon there) but when I try to re-download it from there nothing happens. Should I temporarily rename the app on my disk and then try that route? If so, how do I make sure the license key and data are properly re-united with the app?

• astoller
    astoller
    Community Member
    Options

Never mind - I found the download link, downloaded and installed it and it seems to have fixed the problem.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome! I am glad to hear that things are working as expected once again.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.