AutoFill opens 1Password Mini instead of autofilling

Comments

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

I have a valid new 1P7 membership and license and auto fill is not working in Safari 13.0.
    I click on saved browser favorites and it takes to that site, then I must go up to the browser 1P extension and then scroll to the correct web site info and click on "auto fill", then the correct information is submitted, but NO auto submit, that requires clicking on the Sign In on that web page.
    As a long time user of all the previous versions where this option worked well, this seems like a huge step backward

I also left this message as a comment in another report about this very problem

• Hi @DaBurner

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty filling with 1Password 7. I'd be happy to work with you to get to the bottom of that issue.

I have a valid new 1P7 membership and license and auto fill is not working in Safari 13.0.
    I click on saved browser favorites and it takes to that site, then I must go up to the browser 1P extension and then scroll to the correct web site info and click on "auto fill", then the correct information is submitted,

Does this happen with every login, or just specific pages?

but NO auto submit, that requires clicking on the Sign In on that web page.

Auto-submit is no longer a feature of 1Password. One of my colleagues wrote about why:

I also left this message as a comment in another report about this very problem

Please try to avoid contacting us via multiple channels about a single issue. Doing so tends to cause a duplication of efforts, which slows support down for everyone. I've gone ahead and deleted the duplicate comment. Thanks for understanding. :+1:

Let me know what you find about the filling issue.

Ben

• Mark A Talbot
    Mark A Talbot
    Community Member

@ag_ana & @Ben , if it would help, I'd be willing to open console to log events and send you the report. Let me know.

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Ben-
    First off, sorry about this double reply. I had made a reply comment to another poster that I had found was having a similar problem, before I found this particular post.

I am very sorry to hear that Auto Submit is now not a feature. When you get use to just clicking on a browser saved favorite and you are then you're signed in and good to go, losing that is a huge step back in my opinion.

And yes, the auto fill in does not work on any saved 1P web page.
    Once a saved favorite is clicked and the browser goes to that page, I must go to the 1P extension in the browser and scroll to the same log in and click the blue "auto fill" then click on the web site log in

• maxaudet
    maxaudet
    Community Member

I'm also having the originally reported issue (the license discussion makes this thread harder to follow).
    Chrome&Brave only as it works well in Safari.

Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90
    Brave Version 0.68.142 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90
    1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) 1Password Store
    French OSX 10.14.6 (18G103)

• method_chris
    method_chris
    Community Member

Hi, When autofilling in chrome on my mac +/- 30% of the time the chrome extension loses focus and switches to the main mini browser without filling in the website credentials.

I've watched for common triggers and can't find a specific thing that causes the issue. Is this a known issue or is there something I can do to try and resolve on my end?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
    OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
    Sync Type: 1Password Teams
    Referrer: forum-search:chrome mini plugin loses focus on auto-complete

• Hi folks,

We're very hopeful that the 1Password 7.4 update will fix this issue for everyone.

Thanks.

Ben

• Hi @method_chris

I've merged your thread into another on the same topic. We're aware of the issue and hope to have a fix out soon.

Ben

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member

Ben- You mean the fix will be about the Auto Submit ?

• No, the filling bug being discussed in this thread is what we're hoping to fix in 7.4. Autosubmit isn't planned.

Ben

• method_chris
    method_chris
    Community Member

thanks @Ben

• You're welcome @method_chris :)

Ben

• Mowgli
    Mowgli
    Community Member

Hi, I've been having autofill problems as well. When I navigate to a site and click on the 1PW extension, it usually correctly identifies the site and presents the login info, but it will not autofill so I have to use the copy function.

I'm on a Mac running 10.14.6 and use Safari 13.0.1 as my browser, and I purchased 1PW7 as an update to my previous version.

I read through this thread and just want to make sure I understand- the autofill problem is a known bug and is looking to be addressed in 7.4 update?

Thanks in advance!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Mowgli! There is indeed an issue affecting a tiny fraction of users regarding filling in general currently. Most of the people who've recently upgraded from an older version of 1Password due to the Safari 13 issue (or for any other reason) who are having trouble with filling are experiencing something other than that issue, however, so before either of us assumes that's what's happened to you, let's cover a little more-basic ground. What version of 1Password are you currently using? Have you restarted your Mac since installing and/or since purchasing your license. Have you installed the license file (you can verify by clicking 1Password > License in your Mac's menubar)? Does this occur on every site, or only some? If so, have you noticed a pattern?

• Mowgli
    Mowgli
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thanks for your reply!

So I'm using 1PW 7.3.2 and I noticed that my license is for 1PW 4, but I purchased the upgrade to 1PW 7 (from the Apple App Store). Would you mind telling me how to install the license? To answer your other questions, I've restarted my Mac multiple times and the autofill problem happens with every website.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Mowgli - you cannot purchase a license or upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac in the Mac App Store because as of version 7, we are not selling standalone licenses via the Mac App Store. Anyone can download 1Password 7 for Mac without cost...but that's not the same as purchasing a license or subscribing to a 1password.com account/membership. In order to purchase a standalone license, you'd need to fully quit 1Password, delete the Mac App Store version of the 1Password 7 app, visit our downloads page and install our version, and then when you see the Read Only badge on your items in the main 1Password window after unlocking with your Master Password, click it to bring up the Purchase Options window, and choose the option to purchase a standalone license, like this:

If you believe you've already purchased something and you're not sure what it is -- or you need to make adjustments, please contact support+billing@1password.com as they'll be best-positioned to assist you; we don't discuss details of purchases, refunds or the like in this public forum, for your protection. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Mowgli
    Mowgli
    Community Member

Lars, many thanks again. I was certain I purchased the upgrade, but you might be correct that I just downloaded it. Just to confirm then, in 1PW 7 autofill will only work if I also have an updated license?

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member

Hi @Ben,

I came here to report this issue cause it only started after I updated to the latest version (I was about 5 versions behind so I don’t know exactly where it was introduced). I am using 1Password 7.3.2 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I am seeing the same behavior that you described here.

I use the keyboard pretty much exclusively with 1Password and when I open up 1Password mini using command+\ it brings up the login option with autofill selected in blue, but sometimes pressing return brings me to the list of “All Items” instead of autofilling the currently selected item. It is extremely irritating. It doesn’t happen every time, seems completely random to me.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help debug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mowgli: You're almost right. All of 1Password's features (including filling) are "unlocked" by having an appropriate license for the 1Password version you're using, or a 1Password membership, which includes all of the apps and updates. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@craigc123: What do have set for 1Password Preferences > Mini > Open to?

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member

@brenty it is set to “Suggestions”

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@craigc123: Thank you for checking! Can you give me a concrete example then?

1. What are the browser and extension versions you're using?
    2. What's the URL of the website you're visiting?
    3. What's the URL saved in the Login you're expecting to fill?
    4. Is there more than one Login saved for that website?
    5. What are the exact steps you're taking?

Thanks in advance!

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member

K just got it to happen.

1. I am using Brave Browser -> Version 0.69.132 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), 1Password extension -> Version 4.7.5.90
    2. I have seen it happen on a wide variety of pages, but most recently I got it to happen on https://mail.protonmail.com/login
    3. The URL saved in this case matches is https://mail.protonmail.com
    4. Yes -> In fact, I think this may be key to the issue. I think I have only seen it happen on sites where I have a number of logins to the same site
    5. Go to mail.protonmail.com/login, press command+\, press the down arrow until I find the login that I want, press the Return key to autofill it (the autofill button shows up in blue as if it will be triggered when I hit return), instead of autofilling, it brings up the list of “All Items” in a new 1Password mini window

I suspect what is happening is the down arrow is somehow moving the focus to the “All Items” option in the initial dropdown and the Return key press is selecting that or something strange like that. When it does not autofill correctly and brings up all items it actually closes the existing 1Password mini window and opens a new one slightly to the side of it. The strange thing is when I try it a few times it begins to work, but at some point it starts to happen again. I can’t find an exact method to reproduce it 100% of the time, but it is definitely a regression that only started happening in a more recent version of 1Password.

• scgould1
    scgould1
    Community Member

Same issue, haven't had time to read through this thread yet, but major pain in the butt. Having to copy user name, reopen 1Password, copy password - essentially doing it manually. Version 7.3.2, Chrome, MacOS.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@craigc123, @scgould1: I'm not sure it's a regression, or others would be having the same issue. Can you break down the exact steps you're taking and what is/isn't happening at each point? That might help us figure out what's causing this for you. Thanks!

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member

@brenty I already provided you the exact steps just a couple posts back. I am almost certain it is a regression since it never happened until I upgraded. I think it is a little presumptuous of you to assume that others would be reporting it because

One, as I pointed out, it only happens on sites where you have a lot of logins for the same site which I don’t think is very common for most users, and

Two, it only happens if you use the keyboard exclusively. If you click the autofill button directly it works fine.

Third, your own team member @Ben said he was having the same problem in this comment: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524448/#Comment_524448

• scgould1
    scgould1
    Community Member

For me it seems to be random sites, but pretty frequently occurring. Clicking the auto fill button, brings up my full list.

It’s a bug.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@craigc123: This? There's some good information there, and I appreciate it, but only "step 5" tells me anything about the specific actions you're taking and the results. I was hoping for something more details, so I thought I'd ask. I am not able to reproduce that, and I'll keep trying, but if there are additional details you could add please let me know as that might be helpful. If you've already shared everything you can, I'll just keep at it here. I'm glad to hear that you're able to work around the strange keyboard issue to fill in the mean time. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@scgould1: What do you have configured for 1Password Preferences > Mini > Open to?

• scgould1
    scgould1
    Community Member

Hi brenty - Open 1Password to Suggestions. MacOS, Chrome . It isn't consistently occurring even on the same site. Sometimes it will work the second time if I have activated the cursor in the password field. If not, clicking on AutoFill again will open a new browser window to the URL. BTW the mobile app (iOS) also sometimes takes 3-5 attempts before it will autofill a user name and password, also sometimes fixed by activating the cursor in the password field. It doesn't work with the cursor in the user name field.

This discussion has been closed.