To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why does 1Password not automatically import from Chrome?

Options
motbotw
motbotw
Community Member

I am evaluating Password managers and Dashlane was able to import all of my passwords from Chrome automatically, without my having to export and then import them. LastPass is also able to do this. Why doesn't 1Password work this way and is this possible to add as a feature request? 1) Exporting and then importing requires a number of manual steps that I'd rather not have to take, including turning off backups and then deleting the file. 2) Just the fact that my passwords are sitting around in plain text even briefly makes me break out in hives. Even if I delete the file, it's still sitting there in memory until it's completely overwritten. This seems very insecure. Not to mention that your competitors are doing this in a very slick way.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:import from chrome

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@motbotw: Thanks for asking, and for trying 1Password in the first place! :) I'm sorry for the difficulty. While I get where you're coming from with the export, your passwords are not really secure in the browser's built in password manager when they are stored there either, so it's good you're evaluating your options. :+1: 1Password X prompts you to follow the instructions to import from Chrome when you install it, but I agree that it would be nice to have a smoother process importing specifically from Chrome. We've taken our current approach because it allows us to support importing data from a wide range of sources, and we just haven't had much interest from folks who'd been using Chrome's password manager before trying 1Password. I'll pass your feedback onto the team. Now that the one built in to Chrome has matured a bit, I expect it will come up more over time. Thanks for bringing it up!

ref: xplatform/xplatform#114

This discussion has been closed.