How do I create a standalone vault?

I perused some articles and the forum, but I'm unclear as to how I can create a standalone vault. The articles seemed related to already-existing standalone vaults. I see where I can create a vault in my 1P account, but I presume it would be an "online" vault. I guess an obvious question is how can I access a standalone vault if, for example, I have no Internet access? Or perhaps I may want to share a custom standalone with someone who does not have a 1P account. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ToddGeorge
    ToddGeorge
    Community Member

Hi there,
    I'm not sure if this answers your question but you don't need to have a standalone vault to accomplish what you're describing. If you have a 1Password membership you can access your data and login information whether you're connected to the internet or not. If you're looking to share a custom vault of data with someone, you can use a 1Password Family account to invite guests and apply limited access to your data. I found this link, I hope this helps.
    https://support.1password.com/guests/

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks very much! I have a membership and plan on buying a personal license. Sorry for being dense, but how do I access my vault if I have no Net access? My first thought is that it resides somewhere on my system, but syncs online when I have Net access. If that's correct, how do I navigate to it? If I may pose a related question in this thread, does 1P offer "emergency" access, such as assigning full/limited access to designated people after a specific amount of time goes by and for a designated term?

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member

Hi @jimmyweg,

1Password works fully even when you are offline because it keeps all the data in the app on your computer, so you can use it freely and when you are back online again the app will sync automatically.

If you want to share your vaults with someone you can simply set up your 1Password account on their device. Please keep in mind that by doing so the other person will have access to all of your logins and passwords.

If you want to keep some vaults to yourself and share others, I recommend you to upgrade to 1Password Families. That way you will be able to share the information you choose with other people without having to worry about exposing all of your data. Plus, you can add up to five people to a family account, each with his own vault, plus any other vault you would like to share with them.

You can also create a local vault on your PC and sync it to Dropbox but 1Password is way easier and works better in my opinion.

• Yulka1355
    Yulka1355
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

@jimmyweg,
    To elaborate on how to use 1Password when you're offline - there are 1Password apps for every device or computer you have, which will work even when you're offline: https://1password.com/downloads/
    If you're on a mobile device just go to the local app store and download the 1Password for your mobile device.

If I may pose a related question in this thread, does 1P offer "emergency" access, such as assigning full/limited access to designated people after a specific amount of time goes by and for a designated term?

There is no time limit unlock for individuals as far as I know, but you can download and print the Emergency Kit, which will contain the access details required in order to log in to your account, and put it into a safe box or give it to a lawyer who will give it to the designated person in time.

• Hi guys,

Thanks for writing in.

@jimmyweg, none of your 1Password data is "streaming" to your computer; all encrypted data must be fully downloaded first and we can only decrypt that data with your master password on your local device. No internet access is required at all for the data that's already downloaded, only when you want to push changes or there were changes made on other devices.

For an example, if you visit your my.1Password.com web site and sign in, the encrypted data is downloaded first into the browser's local database and can only be decrypted by the web app with your credentials. So, it may look like it is decrypted on the site but it is not, only on the local side.

I have a membership and plan on buying a personal license.

You don't have to buy a license if you already have a 1Password membership, standalone vaults is already "unlocked" as part of your 1Password membership. For an example, if you're using Windows app, you can go to the 1Password menu > New Vault on this PC to create that new standalone vault.

If you want to share your vaults with someone you can simply set up your 1Password account on their device. Please keep in mind that by doing so the other person will have access to all of your logins and passwords.

This is slightly inaccurate. When you share your vaults with other family members, all family members (and guests) have to create their own account using your 1Password membership and they will only see what's inside the shared vaults, they cannot see your private vaults. You can see how it all works here: https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

Note, we do not recommend trying to bypass switching to 1Password Families by giving someone complete access to your 1Password.com Individual account, in this case, you are giving up all access to your 1Password data and billing information as well. Never ever give your 1Password account credentials to anyone.

If I may pose a related question in this thread, does 1P offer "emergency" access, such as assigning full/limited access to designated people after a specific amount of time goes by and for a designated term?

You can ask any questions you want, we're more than happy to answer them.

1Password does not have such feature but as Yukla pointed out, if this is regarding to situations like wills and estates, you can print out the Emergency Kit from your 1Password account and store it in a protected area that can be accessed by your lawyer. You can find more information about the Emergency Kit here: https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks very much, Mike.

You don't have to buy a license if you already have a 1Password membership, standalone vaults is already "unlocked" as part of your 1Password membership. For an example, if you're using Windows app, you can go to the 1Password menu > New Vault on this PC to create that new standalone vault.

Perhaps I misunderstood "membership." When I log in to my account's Billing section, I see that I have a Trial membership with 28 days remaining. So, I'll await your corrections, but I'd say that I have a "trial membership" from which I can upgrade to a personal or family account. With either membership, I'll be able to use my license annually on my Android, iPad, and PC.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jimmyweg: With a 1Password membership, there is no "license", actually; rather, you sign into your account on each device to access your data -- which also allows it to stay in sync between all of them. Does that help, or do you have any questions?

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. I think I got it!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@jimmyweg: On behalf of Mike and Brenty you are very welcome! Please let us know if you bump into any other difficulties, we will be happy to help. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

• jimmyweg
    jimmyweg
    Community Member

I just upgraded to 1P Families, and created a vault that I will share with invitees.

...When you share your vaults with other family members, all family members (and guests) have to create their own account using your 1Password membership and they will only see what's inside the shared vaults, they cannot see your private vaults.

Forgive me, but I want to be sure I have it right as proceed to set up my 1P family. This is what I understand to be the case in 1P:

I create a shared vault named Fam. I send an invitation to Mary. Mary must create an account with her own master password. Thereafter, she can log in and access the Fam vault. Of course, she can do whatever she wants with its contents or to the sites to which she now gains access. (I better trust Mary! ;) ) By the same token, I can change a particular item in my private vault, e.g., my gmail password, and the copied gmail item in the Mary vault won't work unless I update that login in the Mary vault. Mary can create her own vaults and proceed to use 1P as a single user. Do I have access to any vaults that Mary creates, or must she share them with me explicitly?

• You must choose to share any vault you create and same goes for those created by others in your family, @jimmyweg. I think our guide here that covers sharing would likely answer most questions you've got on that front:

https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

You'll notice the guide first helps you create a vault and then guides you on how to share it. Looking at things that way helps me better follow that process – when you create the vault it's just yours and no one else can see it, but you can choose to share it if you want to.

On a similar note, you should also keep Login items in a single vault – don't have one copy in your Private vault and another that's shared. As you observed, they won't update together and it is just going to cause confusion. You can access that shared vault already so an extra copy in your private vault is only going to create clutter. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.