Safari extension icon is red can't log in but can in iOS, Safari and Firefox. too many tries?

Options
Molly
Molly
Community Member

I may have tried to log in too many times and made typos but I can't log into the 1Password extension for Safari. To make sure I am not losing it, I tried and succeeded in logging in on my iPhone, on 1Password.com in Safari, and in Firefox.

If I try to uninstall and reinstall it, it requires that I delete the application from the Mac and all of it's data.

This is the problem with passwords at least 14 characters long :-(. Too easy to get wrong.

Also, below it asks for sync type, the cloud being one choice. I don't know probably the cloud, but that brings to mind an article on Yahoo a few days ago. Frank Abangale (Catch Me if You Can con-artist turned consultant after doing his time) advises never to keep your passwords in the cloud. Also never to give your birth date or city of birth. It's a little too late for that, it's all been harvested. For most people, I would guess.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/frank-abagnale-it-only-takes-2-pieces-of-information-to-steal-98-of-your-identity-142210933.html

Your advice/guidance is appreciated.

Thank you very much.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: iOS 10.13.6 High Sierra
Sync Type: ??
Referrer: forum-search:Safari extension icon is red can't log in but can in iOS, Safari and Firefox. too many tries?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi @Molly,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having

I have a good deal of interest in Mr. Abangale's life. I'm a big fan of Catch Me If You Can. He is a very interesting person. But I wouldn't agree with a number of the things he says in that article. First, I highly doubt passwords are going anywhere anytime soon. People have been speculating that passwords would go away for quite some time... at least since 2013 (source). This is just the first article I found when doing a quick Google search on the subject. It has been 6 years since that article was published. I haven't found the need for passwords to have decreased any. If anything, I have more accounts that require passwords now than ever.

I do agree with Frank that it is important to use caution and carefully consider your password choices, and where you are storing your passwords. We believe in strong unique passwords here at 1Password, and it is our goal to help people use such passwords for every service they need an account for. Additionally we believe in end-to-end encryption. This means that nobody other than you has access to your data... not even us. The information you store in 1Password is encrypted on your device using your Master Password. Only that encrypted data is synced. To access the data on the other end you need to decrypt it using your Master Password, which only you have. Without that Master Password the data is unreadable.

Anyway. I could talk about that all day. :) Hopefully that gives you a little insight into our thoughts on the subject(s).

As for your issue with Safari, I see you've been communicating with Mathieu on our team via email. To avoid duplicating efforts let's continue that conversation there. I see Mathieu is waiting for a diagnostic report from you. When you get a chance please send that report to him. That'll hopefully give him the information he needs to help you get back up and running in Safari. :)

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.