Why are more & more web sites refusing to honor auto filling my userID/PWD?

Options
three-cushion
three-cushion
Community Member

It seems the the web sites I visit are tending to deny autofill from 1PW. I’m wondering why this is true. The latest happening me is “Best Buy” site.... or www.bestbuy.com. Now every time I use 1PW to connect, Best Buy refuses to autofill the UserID/Pwd. The last site that did that to me was www.SDGE.com (San Diego Gas & Electric). I double-checked...Yes the Settings are correct..Both Keychain AND 1Password can autofill.

Most other sites work fine. My comment is: Is there a reason these sites don’t allow autofill? They do work IF I manually apply the UserID/Pwd...

Jim B (@three-cushion)

1Password Version: 7.3.6
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: MacOC 10.10.5
Sync Type: Subscriber

Comments

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

I JUST saw the topic “https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106569/ios-auto-fill-is-unreliable#latest” and realize others with similar problems. Not sure how that series of posts answers my dilemma, though..
    Comments?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@three-cushion: Just to make sure we're on the same page, there are two ways to fill login credentials you've saved into websites on iOS:

I'd suggest trying both, as you may get better results with one or the other, depending on the situation. I'm a bit surprised that you mentioned Best Buy, because I haven't had trouble there. However, I haven't gone there this month I don't think, so it's possible they changed their website. If you'll let me know the specifics, I'll be happy to check it out:

• iOS version
    • browser you're using
    • URL
    • which filling method (above) you're using
    • what result you're getting

Some websites are just poorly designed, not adhering to web standard, while others actively try to prevent filling. And while we don't have any control over iOS Password Autofill's functionality, there may be something we can suggest or improve in 1Password's filling in the future. :)

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for your ideas & comments. I use my iPad for 98% of internet access. The 1Password Extension only applies to MacOS ..Right? So, how does that affect any actions I take on iOS?
    Frankly, I use MacOS so seldom I’m not sure if the Autofill is not working there or not. That is why I posted via the iOS forum entry.

So, since I will only post iOS problems, I use the iOS Password Autofill. AND in iOS “Autofill Passwords” settings, I checkmark BOTH iCloud Keychain AND 1Password.. Is that correct?

Question: How does 1Password Extension work/affect Autofill while using iOS? Is there one for iOS as there is for MaxOS?

Maybe I’m mixed up here... sorry if that’s the case
    Jim B (@three-cushion)

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Jusy to add...today I used 1Password to login to Best Buy... wonder....it autofill ed OK... why now, I don’t know...
    SDGE.com though still refuses... so I enter userID/PW manually...

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

WHOW ...Just tried “Best Buy” and Autofill failed. SO went manual...got on OK after they checked me out via 2 step verification...which is new for them.

Also I use the 1PAssword Browser. I recall you or one of your colleagues suggested I use iOS Safari with 1Password for better support.
    I don’t know how to tell my password data links to use Safari instead of 1PW Browser??? I have tried using the User Agent...doesn’t seem to help.
    I guess I’m missing something else.

Remember I am on iPad, iOS Ver 12.4.1 and 1Password version 7.4.1

Sorry to be such a bother!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@three-cushion: No bother at all!

I suspect there may be some confusion -- for both of us -- with Best Buy because 1) I no longer have an iPad, and it sounds like that's what you're using (I've just got an iPhone now); and 2) websites can be a bit weird about serving different pages in different places depending on the device. I'm getting a login page at a URL like this (though I don't think it will work for you because of the "token":

https://www.bestbuy.com/identity/signin?token=tid:c953f72a-de94-11e9-963d-005056ae9247

And Autofill has worked there every time I've tried it. But again, you may be getting something slightly different on an iPad, and it could even vary depending on the context of when/where you're trying to sign in. Very confusing. I have never gotten 2-step verification from them though, so that's another wrinkle.

Generally we recommend using Safari because it's a full-featured web browser. Our focus is making the best password manager we can, so as far as browsing, you'll have a better experience in a dedicated browser. That said, it can certainly be convenient to just tap a link in 1Password and open the page right there. (The user agent setting just identifies the browser to the website.) We can't really seamlessly have that open the login in Safari instead, since all iOS allows us to do is give it a URL -- no login credentials -- but we'll see how things develop in the future. Hopefully we'll be able to do more. :)

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, there is confusion. First...in this post, I’m using my iPad (iOS12.4.1 w/ 1PW Ver 7.3.6)
    If I use the URL (in full Safari) you just posted above, I get on the site Fine!. .....
    That said, I am confused with this....you said:”...it can certainly be convenient to just tap a link in 1Password and open the page right there” . What do you mean by this?

What I do now is...1) Open my 1PW under iOS12.4.1 on my iPad. 2) Under ‘Categories’ I scroll down to the ‘Login’ item I want to open,..that contains the userID, Pwd and the URL 3) click on the URL...which is www.bestbuy.com, 4) the site opens using 1Browser (you say I cant use full Safari b/c Apple won’t allow it). 5) Under their Account area, I ask to login ...BestBuy displays their Login panel 6) I use the ‘Key’ at the upper right of the page to select my Best Buy login data , ie, userID and Pwd. 7) that fills the login area, so I click to open , 8) Bestbuy refuses. In order to Login at this point, I manually enter the UserID and the Pwd then The site opens in my Account. It may or may not require a 2 step verification.

Now from all that what are you suggesting as a different way to use 1PW with autofill?

Also, perhaps someone on your team that has an iPad could look at my posts and be of assistance..OK?

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry... error above. My 1PW ver is 7.4.1 Jim B

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

That said, I am confused with this....you said:”...it can certainly be convenient to just tap a link in 1Password and open the page right there” . What do you mean by this?

@three-cushion: I mean tapping the website URL in the item's details in 1Password. That will open it in 1Password. Convenient, but it doesn't have all the features of Safari...

What I do now is...1) Open my 1PW under iOS12.4.1 on my iPad. 2) Under ‘Categories’ I scroll down to the ‘Login’ item I want to open,..that contains the userID, Pwd and the URL 3) click on the URL...which is www.bestbuy.com,

But if you tap and hold the website URL, you'll get the option to open it in Safari instead:

4) the site opens using 1Browser (you say I cant use full Safari b/c Apple won’t allow it).

Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I'm saying if you open it in Safari, 1Password cannot fill there automatically after the page loads. The only thing a 3rd party app can do is send a website URL to Safari to open the webpage. So you'd need to use iOS Password Autofill or the 1Password extension there yourself.

5) Under their Account area, I ask to login ...BestBuy displays their Login panel 6) I use the ‘Key’ at the upper right of the page to select my Best Buy login data , ie, userID and Pwd. 7) that fills the login area, so I click to open , 8) Bestbuy refuses. In order to Login at this point, I manually enter the UserID and the Pwd then The site opens in my Account. It may or may not require a 2 step verification. Now from all that what are you suggesting as a different way to use 1PW with autofill?

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, but websites can be finicky like that sometimes, requiring you to enter login credentials manually. I'm just baffled because I haven't seen or heard of this problem with Best Buy.

Also, perhaps someone on your team that has an iPad could look at my posts and be of assistance..OK?

I've asked a colleague to give it a try, so I'll let you know. The problem is that it won't be something with 1Password (it works the same either way), but rather the website treating you differently for some reason, so not something we could fix. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@three-cushion: My teammate here was able to confirm that the Best Buy website just doesn't like it if you use 1Password's filling in 1Browser on the iPad. You should have no trouble using Safari and iOS Password Autofill instead though. Very strange.

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thank you very much for following up w/ iPad test. So, its not me...guess its iOS vagaries??
    I’ll try the full Safari approach.
    I do have the iOS Password option ON for Autofill.
    Thanks again

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Just tried your suggestion...WORKS FINE on Best Buy
    AND...now SDGE.com ALSO works OK!!! Wow ...all this time I had to use Chrome to get SDGE to load...

Again thanks for the tip
    Jim B

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Just an idea: This idea of bypassing 1Browser should be made 1Password-Wide. Is there a way you can make sure that what you have suggested be well documented somewhere in 1Password.
    Do you agree? I have used 1PW for several years, yet this is first Ive heard of the ,,,,,,,
    “Use full Safari instead of 1Browser for autofill purposes” idea .
    I think it should be widely publized....
    Jim B

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@three-cushion: iOS Password Autofill is still relatively new -- introduced last year with iOS 12 -- and it's technically Apple's feature, not ours, so I'm not sure it would be appropriate for us to publicize it. But we do encourage people to use it, because, like Safari, it's a great part of Apple's platform that can be really useful. I'm glad that using Safari and Autofill helped in your case as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.