To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Talk with a live person re membership questions

Options
1335LMG
1335LMG
Community Member

I have been using TrueKey and I want to switch password managers. I have some questions re storage and changing passwords

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Talk with a live person re membership questions

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@1335LMG

Hi there, welcome to the forum. Ask away and I'll do my best to answer them. :)

• 1335LMG
    1335LMG
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks. First, how can I retain a copy of the master password and secret key "off site" so if all the computers crash and I can get back on, somehow, I can access my passwords? Second, I don't have secure passwords in my TrueKey app - just the same types I use anyway but all locked in one place. If I go to a different system, i.e., 1password, will I have to generate new passwords for all my sites (there are about 90)? Third, what is the difference between 1password and 1passwordX? Fourth, I have a solo law practice. I don't need to share among "teams" or colleagues. So I would normally pick the cheaper program, but there's more support with the business app. How important is that? Fifth, and lastly, how easy is it to change passwords for a site? Thanks, Larry Gold

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

My pleasure, @1335LMG, let's get right to it.

First, how can I retain a copy of the master password and secret key "off site" so if all the computers crash and I can get back on, somehow, I can access my passwords?

That's exactly what your Emergency Kit is for. You are prompted to download it when you first sign up and it has all the information you need in case such a situation arises.

Second, I don't have secure passwords in my TrueKey app - just the same types I use anyway but all locked in one place. If I go to a different system, i.e., 1password, will I have to generate new passwords for all my sites (there are about 90)?

You don't have to if you don't want to. 1Password will store any information you give it. That said, I would recommend generating passwords as the ability to use unique and secure passwords for every site is a large part of the functionality of a password manager and one of the big steps towards bolstering your online security.

Third, what is the difference between 1password and 1passwordX?

In this case, 1Password would be the main, full featured desktop application. 1Password X is a self-contained version of 1Password in your browser. It also provides a lot of great features such as AutoFill prompts, 2FA suggestions and a whole host of other things that make it easier to use 1Password with your browser. Take a look at https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/ for more information.

Fourth, I have a solo law practice. I don't need to share among "teams" or colleagues. So I would normally pick the cheaper program, but there's more support with the business app. How important is that?

Our email and forum support are available to everyone. If you have no need of the extra features provided by our Business version, you can very easily stay with the regular, individual version.

Fifth, and lastly, how easy is it to change passwords for a site?

You go to the site, sign in and go to change your password using the site's process. When asked for a new password, you ask 1Password to generate it. 1Password then updates your login entry to reflect the new password. Take a look at https://support.1password.com/change-website-password. It goes in to more details.

• 1335LMG
    1335LMG
    Community Member
    Options

Trying to get this to work. I've installed the app to browser and the extension. Can't get it to work without entering master password each time and when I add a site, it doesn't automatically open with the new password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @1335LMG

Can't get it to work without entering master password each time

What kind of device is this happening on? A Mac or a PC? And did you end up installing the 1Password X extension, or 1Password extension (desktop app required) in your web browser?

when I add a site, it doesn't automatically open with the new password.

Have you gone to the website that you're trying to update the password for and used their password change form to change to the new password? We have a guide on the process here:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

Please let me know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.