ios wlan sync always shows "never synced"

georgexsh
georgexsh
Community Member
edited September 2019 in iOS

It does sync correctly, but the text always is "never synced", noted that it displays in my locale as "从未同步过。" which is not english.
but wlan sync actually works.

I have tried delete vault and setup sync from start, not helping.

1Password Version: 7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 12
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Hi @georgexsh!

Our developers are aware of this, it will be fixed in one of the next updates ;)

ref: dev/apple/issues#4158

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the confusion there, but I'm glad to hear that it is syncing correctly. We're looking into the display issue. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

• neal_in_niwot
    neal_in_niwot
    Community Member

yep, i've been running into this problem as well, and glad that others have noted this (especially AgileBits team members!).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in! We're looking into a fix for this. :) :+1:

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Related is “sync’d 4 weeks ago” when it was seconds ago. IOS 12.4.1, latest 1PW app as of 22sep19. Misleading and wastes user time trying to be sure it syncs

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MarkP: Sorry about that. This is the first report I'd heard of it saying anything other than "Never" when it's not updating, so I appreciate you chiming in. That may help us figure out what's causing this.

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member

@brenty for me it currently displays „9 days ago“.

• Thanks, @PreCTANT. If you already had WLAN Sync established before experiencing this difficulty then it may show something other than "never."

Ben

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Thanks and you’re welcome, Brenty.
    2 other annoying related behaviors that I’ve seen for months to more than a year with WiFi sync:

1) the phone still says Syncing after it finishes. You may have to press Sync multiple times before it finally appears to complete. This has occurred on iOS 11 and 12, on devices including an iPhone 5S, 6 Plus, SE, and XS Max.

2) the phone says Syncing even if the host Mac is sleeping and 1Password on the Mac is locked, and I have definite evidence months ago that no sync happened. The behavior should be that if the WiFi Mac server is not available, the mobile app clearly posts a sticky message (meaning you have to acknowledge it for it to disappear) that sync is not possible at this time, and that to sync, you need to unlock the Mac and the 1Password 6 app on the Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1) the phone still says Syncing after it finishes. You may have to press Sync multiple times before it finally appears to complete. This has occurred on iOS 11 and 12, on devices including an iPhone 5S, 6 Plus, SE, and XS Max.

@MarkP: I haven't been able to reproduce that, probably because it depends on the network environment, but we'll keep an eye out.

2) the phone says Syncing even if the host Mac is sleeping and 1Password on the Mac is locked, and I have definite evidence months ago that no sync happened. The behavior should be that if the WiFi Mac server is not available, the mobile app clearly posts a sticky message (meaning you have to acknowledge it for it to disappear) that sync is not possible at this time, and that to sync, you need to unlock the Mac and the 1Password 6 app on the Mac.

That's actually how it worked for a while, but many more people found it annoying for the modal dialog come up and have to dismiss it each time it tried to sync when the server was unavailable. I don't expect we'll be going back to that.

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Ok, good to know on both. Thanks.

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Here’s an important distinction on what’s valuable vs. annoying to the user: 1) deliberate manual WiFi syncing vs. 2) automatic syncing initiated by the phone clients on some schedule or based on events like connectivity changes. For 1), if I press the Sync button in Settings, I want to know that it succeeded, or if not, why not, so I can fix it, like changing WiFi networks or unlocking my Mac. That’s where a modal window or a 5-sec self-clearing status toast is valuable, so I can see the problem and know how to get to success. For 2), background automatic WiFi syncing, I don’t really care. If it works, great. If not, I agree with others, I don’t want to have to dismiss any modal windows. Instead, if I really need to sync, I’ll set up for success by opening 1PW on my Mac, then manually sync my phone to my Mac before carrying my USB key downstairs and folder-syncing to my wife’s Mac. I expect to see whether the folder sync was successful. Finally I will carry the USB key up to my Mac to pull in new or changed items from hers into my “master” Mac, then resync all 3 of our phones to it. The UI should be super clear on all phones whether that sync succeeded or failed, and if not, why not.

PS, it would be great if you would document when automatic background syncing can work or will work: does the Mac have to be open and unlocked? Does 1Password have to be open and unlocked? Thanks!

• Hey @MarkP

We do certainly hope to fix the bug described in this thread as soon as is feasible. That said, we're not currently planning any improvements to the WLAN Server. What is currently there is likely to be the state for WLAN sync for the foreseeable future. If you'd like an improved sync experience, beyond what the WLAN Server can offer, we'd recommend looking into 1Password membership:

About 1Password membership

Ben

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I’m not advocating for improving the WiFi server, but greater clarity about sync status or problems as seen by the client would be valuable.

Am I overlooking any existing doc about the conditions under which automatic syncing can or will work? If not, a 2-sentence description in Help would be valuable.

I am determined to keep password data within my devices and my LAN, so am hoping that WiFi sync will be supported “forever”.

• Am I overlooking any existing doc about the conditions under which automatic syncing can or will work? If not, a 2-sentence description in Help would be valuable.

I believe this answers the question:

To sync your data in the future, unlock 1Password on both your Mac and your iOS device while they are on the same wireless network. Your data will automatically sync.

Source: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

Thanks, Ben. I’m not advocating for improving the WiFi server, but greater clarity about sync status or problems as seen by the client would be valuable.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

Also seeing this problem. The wrong sync state is rather irritating. Good to hear dev department is already aware and working on a fix.

• :+1:

Ben

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Update: on an iPhone SE running iOS 12.4 and 1Password 7.4.1, yesterday I cancelled WiFi sync and Re-enabled it. Since then it shows Never synced, and takes many minutes saying Syncing of about 30 MBytes and 890 items, whereas it takes only seconds for my iPhone XS Max to sync.

• @MarkP

The 'never synced' display is a known issue our developers plan to fix for a future update. Regarding the speed of the sync... please try connecting the iPhone SE and your Mac to an ad hoc WiFi network (using these instructions), as a troubleshooting step. Does the sync happen any faster over the ad hoc network?

Also, has the speed of syncing the SE in the past more closely matched the XS?

Please let me know.

Ben

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

persisting. iOS 13.2, 1P 7.4 macOS, 1P 7.4.3 iOS.

• @LosInvalidos

The display of the last sync time? That would be because we haven't fixed it yet. ;) I don't have a timeframe to offer, but it is on the radar.

Ben

• @georgexsh

We respectfully disagree that this is a "show stopper." It is a visual glitch only (doesn't affect functionality) in a feature that is used by a very small portion of the customer base. That doesn't mean we're uninterested in fixing it, but we're not in a position to derail our development cycle to do so.

Ben

• I'm sorry for the disappointment. :(

Ben

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@Ben can I just kindly inquire about this?

Although I wholeheartedly agreed that it is by no means a critical issue, it also is more than a visual glitch since there is no way to actually determine if a sync was successful without adding or removing sample data and manually checking every time.

As you were saying in another thread, WLAN is "the most technically complex option [you] offer that is affected by the most outside variables", so it would indeed be quite helpful to see whether it is up to date or not.

I recently got stuck without the current password to one of my social media accounts since I had recently changed it and was unaware I had not synced afterwards and I can assure you … not a great feeling.

The end of the calendar year traditionally is a time to wrap up some loose ends, maybe this could be one of them?

Yours,
    PreCTANT

• @PreCTANT

There has been some progress, but nothing customer-facing at this point. Code has been written that we're hoping will address the issue. That'll need to be included in a beta build, tested, and then if all goes well would be scheduled for a stable build.

Thanks. :)

Ben

• PreCTANT
    PreCTANT
    Community Member

Thanks, @Ben – it's been another month, so I'm assuming 7.4.5 must be just around the corner and hoping that we're getting closer to a fix.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We also hope to publish a fix for this as soon as possible :+1:

• LosInvalidos
    LosInvalidos
    Community Member

1Password 7.4.5 for iOS: "WLAN Sync now correctly reports the last time it has synced a vault. {#4158}"
    Hallelujah 8-)

This discussion has been closed.