After updating to version 7 I don't have full functionality. What to do?

dirkmueller64
dirkmueller64
Community Member

I did buy 1Password for Mac via the AppStore a few years ago. So far every update did work. Now after a required update to version 7 I don't have full functionality and I'm asked to buy a new license. ??

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:After updating to version 7 I don't have full functionality

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019

Hi @dirkmueller64

That is correct; 1Password 7 is not included with any previous licenses. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I would add that the App Store version is subscription (membership) only. If you want a licence (and I think subscription is a better option) you must get 1PW direct from AgileBits

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's correct @danco, thank you for adding this information to the discussion :+1:

• AjEG
    AjEG
    Community Member

It appears that I might have a situation that challenges some of the statements above. I have downloaded/installed 1Password 6 from the App Store many years ago. Recently I downloaded/installed 1Password 7 from the App Store, but didn't launch it yet. The following morning, I was presented with a message that I needed to update my 1PW vault to a new format, .opvault. I went through the process, re-setup my Dropbox syncing, and after an acceptable amount of time, everything was running again. At this point I noticed that the 1PW I was interacting with was different (dark UI, etc.). I had not made the connection yet that my 1PW7 download from the previous day had actually automatically become engaged without my ever manually launching it.

This was all well and good, I like the new 1PW7 UI and things are working fine. BTW, I should state, that I do not have a 1PW membership for my personal account, but I do have a 1Password for Teams membership for our office.

What I noticed today however, is that it appears that BOTH 1PW6 and 1PW7 are running simultaneously. I came across this because I noticed that the 1PW menubar icon was no longer showing me any passwords. Then I noticed that there were two 1PW icons. I clicked the other one (which was the 1PW6 icon) and sure enough, there were all my passwords. I quick launched 1PW6 to see if I could tell it to not startup and not show the menubar icon. I could not find anything to tell it to not startup, but when I told 1PW6 to hide the menubar icon, BOTH 1PW6 and 1PW7 menubar icons disappeared. I turned them back on, but anything I did affected both of them.

It seems to me that 1PW7 should have recognized that 1PW6 was installed and taken some action to prevent them from conflicting with each other. That apparently didn't happen, maybe it was not designed to, but I want to know what is the recommended course of action to get these two separated and running separately. Should I just delete 1PW6? Will I screw up anything with my vault or settings or license if I do?

Please advise.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AjEG - I'm not entirely sure what the issue here is, other than that you've got two versions of 1Password installed and running on your Mac. 1Password does not (cannot) automatically launch itself -- but you can/should remove version 6, assuming you've been able to open your existing 1Password 6 for Mac data into 1Password 7 for Mac. It sounds like you have been successful in doing that, but let me know if that's not the case.

Assuming it is the case, then you would only need to remove 1Password 6 for Mac entirely. Running two versions simultaneously will definitely give you the sort of unpredictable behavior you're experiencing. Here's how to proceed:

1. Quit all running browsers.
    2. Hold down your Option ( ⌥ ) key on your keyboard, then click any 1Password icons you find in your Mac's menubar. You'll see an option to Quit 1Password completely (may say Quit 1Password and the mini if it's version 6). Do this for any 1Password icons you see in your menubar.
    3. Open Activity Monitor which is inside the Utilities folder in your Applications folder, and type 1Pass into the search bar there.
    4. If you find any remaining 1Password processes resulting from the search, close each one in turn by selecting it and clicking the "X" button at the top left of the main Activity Monitor window.
    5. Delete the 1Password 6 app. This will not affect your data in either version 6 or version 7 -- the data isn't part of the app itself. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash and restart your Mac.
    6. When your Mac restarts, open your browser-of-choice as well as 1Password 7 for Mac, and let me know how/if it works for you.
  • AjEG
    AjEG
    Community Member

Thanks for the info Lars, I will follow your procedure to uninstall 1Password 6. You are correct, I was able to successfully open all of my passwords and the 1Password for Teams account in 1Password 7.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@AjEG - sounds good. :) :+1:

• AjEG
    AjEG
    Community Member

UPDATE
    I followed Lars procedure and it went smooth as silk. 1Password 7 is the only one installed, it's running great and there are no conflicts. Everything is good to go. Thanks Lars!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! That's great to hear :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.