1password 6 to 1password families

harczuk
harczuk
Community Member

I have no choice after upgrading to safari 13 and the safari extension is gone in 1password 6.

So if I upgrade to families:
1. Can I keep all my data in iCloud and dropbox?
2. can I have zero data on 1password.com?
3. if yes to 1 and 2, is this the same for my family members?

1Password Version: 6.89
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @harczuk

1Password Families uses 1Password.com to store your encrypted data. It does not use Dropbox. You may be interested in this guide:

About the 1Password security model

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• iCloud is not involved in syncing 1Password membership data.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk - no. 1Password Families, like all 1Password accounts, syncs via the 1password.com servers. That's one of its advantages. You can still create standalone vaults and sync them via whatever advanced sync method you wish...but you can't sync 1Password account vaults via anything but the 1Password.com servers. Hope that helps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk:

You can use multiple sync methods in your 1Password app, but each vault can only sync with one of them. I believe this is what Lars was trying to say. So the vaults stored on 1Password.com can only sync via 1Password.com. If you want to sync data using iCloud or Dropbox even when you have a Membership, you will have to create those additional vaults outside of your 1Password Families account and sync them separately.

I hope this helps clarify things :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk:

You can sign up for an account on the website, and then add this account to the app. You should not be prompted to migrate your data automatically since you have more than one local vault, but in case you are, just refuse the automatic migration :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

I also hit a roadblock following the update to Safari 13 and had no idea it would break the browser extension for 1Password 6.8.9. So far I am finding the move to 1Password family confusing to say the least. My primary vault has always been stored in Dropbox and I was asked to copy that across, which was followed by a message saying that not all items were copied.

Now I look inside 1Password 7.3.2 and see two vaults. The old Primary vault on Dropbox has 1503 items, but the new Private one has more than 2000. None of this is confidence inspiring.

I have existing standalone licences for Mac, Windows and Android. When I went to the Android store it told me it was already installed, so I am frankly struggling to find any merit at all in this new setup that ties us into endless payments. It seemed better to hold off on Windows at this stage.

When I try to login at a website it no longer autosubmits either, so there seems to be a lot more clicking. This is all slower, more complex and more expensive.

All I am thinking of right now is switching to Firefox as my default browser and going back to 6.8.9 or trying an alternative like Enpass. This is disappointing after relying on 1Password for 10 years.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ashleyk - I'm sorry for the bumpy transition. We've done what we can to make users aware of the upcoming changes in Safari 13 in terms of how it affects users of older versions of 1Password for Mac, including a blog post, a prominent announcement box on our main support page and a complete article explaining the situation and your options.

I'm glad to hear you've chosen a 1Password Families account -- it's by far the best of the solutions available, once you're set up. If you've had problems migrating your data, we'll want to have a closer look. To do that, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#PGH-34226-874]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

@ashleyk only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

When I try to login at a website it no longer autosubmits.

True. In Safari 12, Apple removed the ability to use script files to simulate the press of the "Enter" or "Return" keys, which was what we had been using to effect autosubmit after filling. Though our use of it was benign, we agree with Apple that allowing installable scripts to simulate the press of so consequential a key as the Enter key is how a much mischief is created on users' Macs, and we agree with Apple's choice; autosubmit is gone, and while we'll certainly be keeping an eye out for future developments that might change this, for the foreseeable future there are no plans (and no ability, in Safari) to have it return.

ref: PGH-34226-874

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk - if you previously had 1Password 7 for Mac installed, then unless you specifically cleared out all the associated data files, just removing the app itself doesn't do that for you. So, if (when) you re-install, your data will be in the exact state you left it. I'm guessing it's looking for the Master Password you were previously using for that now-deleted 1Password account.

However, if the account is gone and you want to migrate your standalone 1Password data from version 6 into version 7, you can do so this way:

1. Quit 1Password 6 and the Mini if they are running by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    2. Delete the 1Password 6 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    3. In 1Password 7 for Mac, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. WARNING: this will do what it says: it will delete all local 1Password 7 for Mac data, so be sure that's what you want to do.
    4. Re-open 1Password 7 for Mac and it will be as if you're a brand-new user. Choose iCloud as your sync method from the first screen:
    5. Once your iCloud/Primary vault is set up, you can sync additional vaults by double-clicking the OPVault file in your Dropbox folder in Finder while 1Password 7 for Mac is running.

Let us know how that works for you. You'll still need to choose whether to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac or subscribe to a 1Password account and add that into the app -- but that choice is yours.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk - correct. Deleting the 1Password app does only that -- delete the app -- unless you use an app cleaner or uninstaller, which can remove more data than we want them to. It's not like iOS, where deleting an app off your home screen deletes all its associated data as well. Also -- your vaults are in iCloud and Dropbox, so even if you DID inadvertently delete them from your Mac, you could easily sync with the remote copies again. In short: don't worry. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk - I'm not sure what you're asking? You would set your Dropbox software up as normal on your Mac. If you have OPVault sync keychains in your Dropbox folder that you want to use in 1Password 7 for Mac, and you've already got a Primary (standalone) vault set up, you would simply double-click each OPVault in Finder while 1Password is running and unlocked, and they should open in 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@harczuk - awesome! There are times when it's hard to say goodbye to an old favorite piece of software (or even hardware), especially if you already know the replacement lacks some of your most-beloved features. Most of the time, there are good reasons why things change (we try never to make changes just for the sake of changing things, for example), but that doesn't make it any easier. What can compensate, at least partially if not more, is that the new goodies often advance the ball down the field much more than the previous setup/version ever did. We're glad you stuck with us, and we hope to improve your 1Password experience for a long time to come. :)

This discussion has been closed.