Upgrade to 7, Seems slower and clunkier than 6?

Avign0n51
Avign0n51
Community Member

Had to do the forced upgrade on 9/19 after upgrading Safari to 13. Took a LONG time to get everything working right, and it's still giving me issues.

How I used 6: I would simply click on the icon in the Safari Toolbar and see an alphabetical list of all my sites with passwords stored in the application, and then just click on the one I needed to get into. Worked fine and fast.

With 7, took a long time to get it working (it kept hanging on trying to install the Safari extension). When I did get it working, now when I click on the icon it seems to keep defaulting to ONLY the sites related to the URL Safari is currently on (the "Suggestions" is always the focus)--while I can click in the field and down-arrow to "Logins" and see my list, I keep having to do that EVERY time.

I want to be able to modify the focus so the default is "Logins", not suggestions, and then when I'm at a site that it recognizes, it'll ALSO show the logins associated to that Site, up above. You know, restore the behavior back to how 6 worked. And...please speed things up.

On the upgrade/install of things. Needs to be WAY more smoother and bullet-proof. Big issue was that it upgraded (the Safari extension didn't just automatically load, as it had in past, and seems to be no good way to force it to install--it seemed like it was hanging or something). All of a sudden, it showed up in Safari's extension list. When it finally showed up, there was no Automatically Update check block (not sure if that is normal). And, confusing, my old Master Password (not the same as what I was forced to use when I subscribed to 7) was opening the vault, but would not work to log me in to my new account--thankfully, I had the emergency PDF to use).

All-in-all, and I have used 1Password since version 4.x...was a pretty miserable experience!

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password? (not sure)

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Avign0n51 - I'm sorry to hear you've had a bumpy transition. Some things are definitely different about 1Password 7 for Mac, and the Extension Helper (mini) is among the largest of these changes.

However, the changes aren't that drastic. In 1Password 6 for Mac, you had less ability to customize what you saw or how it was arranged in the mini than you do in the current 1Password 7 for Mac.

How I used 6: I would simply click on the icon in the Safari Toolbar and see an alphabetical list of all my sites with passwords stored in the application, and then just click on the one I needed to get into.

Not quite. The list I think you're referring to is the "Logins" category, which was part of the version 6 mini, but required using the flyout menu to even see (as in the below image), and above that, there was both the search bar and "suggested items":

In 1Password 7 for Mac, all of that is present as well:

Clicking the (selected) "Logins" option will give you that same alphabetical list you previously enjoyed. But things don't stop there. There's also a new tab in 1Password's Preferences called "Mini" which gives you the option to show either Suggested items (for the current site/app), All Items, or Favorites, as well as the option to show both Categories and Tags in the main menu, a submenu or hide completely.

I want to be able to modify the focus so the default is "Logins", not suggestions, and then when I'm at a site that it recognizes, it'll ALSO show the logins associated to that Site, up above. You know, restore the behavior back to how 6 worked.

I'm sorry that option isn't available right now...but I'm a little confused here, since it never was in 1Password 6 for Mac either. You still had to scroll down to the flyout menu and wait for that to open.

On the upgrade/install of things. Needs to be WAY more smoother and bullet-proof. Big issue was that it upgraded (the Safari extension didn't just automatically load, as it had in past, and seems to be no good way to force it to install--it seemed like it was hanging or something).

Safari 13 and 1Password 7 for Mac use Apple's new Safari App Extension format, which isn't a separately-installable thing, like the older .safariextz-style extensions we'd all gotten used to. The new SAE extensions are built into the main app, and it's installed automatically into Safari. We don't have control over how quickly that happens, but it shouldn't be too long.

When it finally showed up, there was no Automatically Update check block (not sure if that is normal).

Yup. Since it's part of the main app itself, you'll notice that instead of the previous 4.7.5.90 versioning, the extension now has the same version number as the main app itself (7.3.2 as of today) -- and it gets updated when you update the app, not separately. This will be the case for any and all extensions you run in the future in Safari 13 as well; it's Apple's new spec.

And, confusing, my old Master Password (not the same as what I was forced to use when I subscribed to 7) was opening the vault, but would not work to log me in to my new account--thankfully, I had the emergency PDF to use).

This is the most concerning bit -- if you have a 1Password account you've been using with one Master Password, and you're now opening 1Password 7 for Mac with a previous Master Password you haven't used since you had standalone 1Password, it indicates that you've got a standalone vault present. What do you see when you click 1Password > Preferences > Vaults? How many vaults are there, and what are their names? Do you see one called "Primary?"

• billpeet
    billpeet
    Community Member

I'm sorry that option isn't available right now...but I'm a little confused here, since it never was in 1Password 6 for Mac either. You still had to scroll down to the flyout menu and wait for that to open.

I don't understand this response. I've been using 1Password 6 on an iMac, and if I'm already on a site (like say Facebook), and I opened 1Password Mini, the Facebook entry would be essentially right at the top, ready to go. (Yes, you had to click on that entry to see the password details, etc., but the site entry was right there).

I too am very sorry that's no longer the case now, and I hope this is restored as soon as possible.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billpeet:

What you are describing is in 1Password 7 already. When you click on 1Password Mini now, if you are in the Suggestions view, 1Password will put your Facebook login at the top of the list if you are on Facebook.

• Avign0n51
    Avign0n51
    Community Member

I think you guys are kinda missing the point. With version 6, as in the screenshot above, I IMMEDIATELY had BOTH the "suggestion", if on a URL I had a logon for AND showed the Full menu, and I just had to go to one of the categories like Logins or Credit Cards and could just scroll & click on what I needed to use, really fast and easy. You have lost that ease of use with 7. You may think it has (and it may actually have) more "capabilities", but, ease and speed are gone. THAT is the issue with your upgrade (one, the biggest one, issue...).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Avign0n51 - let's keep the conversation in one thread at a time, if you don't mind. :)

This discussion has been closed.