To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to upgrade my account

Options
david205
david205
Community Member

I got a message this morning that the Safari extension for my 1Password is no more. So I followed the link from your support and downloaded 7. It then had me set up an account. Now when I try and log in it says "An account with this email address already exists. Please go back and choose the sign in option to use your existing account, or enter a different email address."

I have no idea what all of this means. I just want to get my Safari extension back and this has been a lot of trouble to do so.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: ?
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @david205! Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you are trying to create a second account instead of logging in to an existing one. Are you using this page to login?

• david205
    david205
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded the 1password 7 from your site. The page you sent me to is asking for some secret key. What even is that? I do not understand why this is so difficult. Is there any way to speak to a person via phone or chat? With a subscription model I would expect support would be live and not having to sign up for a forum in order to post.

• @david205

When you signed up for an account the Secret Key would've been presented to you or saved for you. When signing up via the website it'll download an Emergency Kit as part of the setup process. That Emergency Kit will contain your Secret Key. Please print that document and keep it in a safe place so that you have record of it. If you signed up through the website please check the Downloads folder on your computer for the Emergency Kit.

The Secret Key would've been saved in iCloud Keychain if you signed up inside of 1Password for Mac or 1Password for iOS. We have some tips on locating your Secret Key available here:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code | 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• david205
    david205
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. I deleted that account. Still do not have a browser extension for Safari. Still am unclear as to how to speak to someone via some live means of communication.

• @david205

I'm sorry you're still having trouble with getting the extension in Safari. I would recommend trying these troubleshooting steps:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524296/#Comment_524296

Still am unclear as to how to speak to someone via some live means of communication.

We do not offer live chat or telephone support at this time; my apologies. We're happy to help here or via email.

Ben

• david205
    david205
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted 1Password 7. I quit Safari. I rebooted. Now when I click my 1password previous icon it has a question mark. When I installed 7, did it DELETE my previous version. Because now I have nothing.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2019
    Options

@david205

Typically you can only have one version of 1Password installed at a time. Did you complete all of the steps in that post? If so could you please post a screenshot of what you see in Safari under Preferences > Extensions?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• david205
    david205
    Community Member
    Options

So what you are saying is that when I installed a trial of the new 1Password, it removed the application on my hard drive I had previously purchased?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@david205:

We don't delete 1Password from your hard drive, only you can do that. As Ben mentioned, could you please post a screenshot of what you see in Safari under Preferences > Extensions?

• david205
    david205
    Community Member
    Options

Screenshot.

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member
    Options

Hi David, I think you should download and reinstall the last version of 1Password 6: https://app-updates.agilebits.com the link is the first one on "LEGACY VERSIONS". Last year I had a sad story too, upgrading from 6 to 7, ended with a rollback to 6. Now I'would try again because the plugin is not working on latest Safari 13: I wrote some questions to the support... still waiting for answer.

• @marco_o

1Password 6 won't work with recent versions of Safari, so that won't do it.

Ben

• @david205

Based on that screenshot it doesn't appear you've completed the steps outlined here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/524296/#Comment_524296

Please start from the top and complete each of those steps. That should get you back in business. If after completing all of the steps you are still having trouble I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/107186/unable-to-upgrade-my-account#latest
    • Your forum username: david205

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, Yes, as David wrote in his first post of the thread :)

• @marco_o,

Right, so I'm not sure why you suggested that. ;)

Ben

• marco_o
    marco_o
    Community Member
    Options

David has deleted 1Password7 and seems that the old one has been replaced by version 7 so... currently he has no more 1Password 6 (the app). The only way to use it again seems to be a new install... :|

• The only way to use 1Password with modern versions of Safari is by installing 1Password 7, correct.

Ben

• david205
    david205
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to upgrade to 7 to use with the new Safari. It did not work (see above). So I followed the instructions that Ben referenced on 9/20. (Deleting and reinstalling version 7.) Not clicking More Extensions, etc. Still no extension so I took a screen shot which you guys have but said I did not follow your full instructions.

As a side note, I mentioned that my version 6 was no longer on my hard drive as it was replaced by 7. I did not delete or move it. Ben says above "Typically you can only have one version of 1Password installed at a time." But then ag_ana says "We don't delete 1Password from your hard drive, only you can do that." I am unclear on how both of these responses are true.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I tried to upgrade to 7 to use with the new Safari. It did not work (see above). So I followed the instructions that Ben referenced on 9/20. (Deleting and reinstalling version 7.) Not clicking More Extensions, etc. Still no extension so I took a screen shot which you guys have but said I did not follow your full instructions.

@david205: No one said anything like that. Did you send the information ben requested?

As a side note, I mentioned that my version 6 was no longer on my hard drive as it was replaced by 7. I did not delete or move it.

It doesn't work that way, so if you didn't delete or move it, something else on your system did.

Ben says above "Typically you can only have one version of 1Password installed at a time." But then ag_ana says "We don't delete 1Password from your hard drive, only you can do that." I am unclear on how both of these responses are true.

Both are correct. This is how it works: when you install 1Password 7, the installer compresses 1Password 6 into a ZIP file. So you won't have 1Password 6 "installed" at that point, so it can't interfere with 1Password 7, though it has not been deleted -- at least not by 1Password. So you'll either find it there, in a ZIP file, or, if it's gone, you or something else removed it.

This discussion has been closed.