Why is it necessary to press the "Face ID" button every time to fill in log-ons?

Options
wills11
wills11
Community Member

Wouldn't it be possible to just automatically trigger the Face ID when selecting 1Password to fill in a log-on? Each time it prompts me for Master Password with a small Face-ID button below.

While all the security is appreciated, it would be great to have the option to ease up a bit on it and automate things a little more—i.e. not require Face ID each time, and/or do it automatically.

Also, this may be an Apple issue, but it would be terrific if rather than pressing the little key icon and choosing 1Password at each log-in, if it was possible to set something to default to 1Password each time a log-on is needed.

Thanks for the great app and service!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) 1Password Sto
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: iOS 13.0
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:press button for Face ID

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

Wouldn't it be possible to just automatically trigger the Face ID when selecting 1Password to fill in a log-on? Each time it prompts me for Master Password with a small Face-ID button below.

@wills11: Good find! I actually prefer that behaviour myself a lot of the time, but it wasn't until recently that I found how to do it. This should help you as well! iOS Password Autofill will unlock based on what you've done in the main 1Password app. So, to get it to not prompt me automatically and wait until I tapped the button for Face ID/Touch ID, I...

1. Opened the main 1Password app
    2. Unlocked with my Master Password (this enabled Face ID/Touch ID globally)
    3. Returned to the main 1Password app later after it had locked
    4. When prompted for Face ID/Touch ID, dismiss it
    5. Button to invoke Face ID/Touch ID (since I enabled it in #2) is shown below the Master Password field

This is, in my opinion, preferable on an iPad when using 1Password in Slide Over or Split Screen, so I don't have to dismiss the prompt all the time when switching. However, if you want the prompt, you can reverse that by...

a. Opening the main 1Password app
    b. Tapping Face ID/Touch ID icon to use that to unlock

The next time it needs to unlock, it should "remember" that you did the Face ID/Touch ID prompt last time (reboots/updates notwithstanding).

This also relates to the next part:

While all the security is appreciated, it would be great to have the option to ease up a bit on it and automate things a little more—i.e. not require Face ID each time, and/or do it automatically.

iOS Password Autofill cannot currently "control" (for lack of a better term) 1Password itself. So Autofill will unlock based on how you have (or not) unlocked the main 1Password app last. If you unlock only iOS Password Autofill, it will always ask for your Master Password. If you first unlock the main 1Password app, Autofill will allow unlocking differently based on that (Face ID/Touch ID prompt, button, etc.) -- as in #2 above.

Also, this may be an Apple issue, but it would be terrific if rather than pressing the little key icon and choosing 1Password at each log-in, if it was possible to set something to default to 1Password each time a log-on is needed.

I think I may not be understanding you here, so please elaborate if that's the case. However, if you mean that there isn't a way to tell iOS Password Autofill to only show login credentials from 1Password by default, even when you have iCloud Keychain or something else enabled, then no, that isn't possible, and would a feature request for Apple. But if you'll let me know specifically what you have in mind I may be able to suggest something that might help.

Thanks for the great app and service!

Thanks so much for the kind words, and for your support! It means the world to me and the rest of the team to be able to do what we love. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.