Issues retrieving iCloud passwords using converter guide

Options
JJ77
JJ77
Community Member

Hello,

I am new to 1Password, and I have been trying to use the post: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30286/mrcs-convert-to-1password-utility-mrc-converter-suite , but I have so far been unsuccessful. The script correctly enters the password, but with every attempt I get the error message "The contents of this item cannot be retrieved". I am using MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 (latest version). Is anyone aware of either issues with this version of MacOS or of possible errors I could have made?

Any help, thoughts, or comments are appreciated.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JJ77! Welcome to the forum!

I think this is something that @MrC can help with :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JJ77 ,

I’ll take a look on Sunday.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JJ77 ,

I've placed a testing version of Get_Safari12_Passwords into the Custom area of the converter suite location, which is here.

Can you give this a try?

I've noticed that Safari 13 has annoying bug whereby it can randomly lock the passwords area of the preferences dialog while you are using it, and of course, this will thwart the export script.

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply. So try the Safari and don't try the iCloud for now?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2019
    Options

@JJ77

Correct, use the Get_Safari12_Passwords applescript I posted in Custom for you to test out. The old method of using Keychain Access hasn't worked in a while.

Here's a video that shows how it works.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JJ77

Just checking in. How did the export + conversion work for you? I'm here if you need more assistance.

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,

Thank you for all the help. Unfortunately, I had a really busy few weeks and didn't get back to this til now, and in the meantime Safari auto-updated to version 13 :( It's getting an error now. My bad, I turned off auto-updates now.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JJ77,

No problem.

There was clearly a bug in Safari 13.0 that was closing the passwords preferences dialog prematurely, even while you were using it. So this would cause the script to fail. I've just tested the Get_Safari12_Passwords applescript on Safari 13.0.2 on Catalina, and on Mojave and it works.

Please verify you have this version of Safari, and that indeed you are using the script I posted under the Custom folder (it will be version 1.5 of the Get_Safari12_Passwords script).

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thanks for your response and for testing this.

I am still getting an error that says "System Events got an error: Can't get scroll area of group 1 of group 1 of window "Passwords" of application process "Safari". Invalid Index."

The error message is coming from the Script Editor app. I apologize if I am doing something wrong. Thank you for all the help so far!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JJ77,

Can you give more any more clues? Since I can't reproduce what you are seeing, and have no other information, I need as much as you can give me.

Does it die before doing anything?

If not, what row does it get to (approximately) before it dies?

There is a statement in the script, which you can see in script editor:

-- say "Row " & row_index

If you remove the two leading dashes, and re-run the script, it will tell you the row number as it proceeds down the list.

How long (clock-wise) does it run after the script begins running?

Is the password dialog locking on you while it is running?

• JJ77
    JJ77
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you again for the quick response and apologies for my delayed.

So this time I was able to get it to do something...

It starting going down the list of passwords (not at the top, but at the last one I had used), but the safari passwords seemed to get locked after a short time, stopping the process and giving this message: " error "System Events got an error: AppleEvent handler failed." number -10000 "

Here's a screenshot:

Hope this helps and thank you again for the help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@JJ77

Please see my comments here.

This discussion has been closed.