Missing Touch ID on iPhone 8Plus, iOS 13, v7.4.1 and don’t remember master

mcleodrj99
mcleodrj99
Community Member

Tried to master password and did not remember it. Touch ID now seems to be missing. How do I unlock?

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Missing Touch ID for password on iPhone

Comments

• ricky_nguyen
    ricky_nguyen
    Community Member

Do you have Touch ID turned on through Settings and then going to Touch ID & Passcode and adding a fingerprint to it?

• mcleodrj99
    mcleodrj99
    Community Member

Touch ID is turned on...I currently use it to unlock the phone. I also used it to successfully unlock 1Password earlier today. After that I closed 1Password and then tried to unlock it using my master password which I cannot seem to remember and then the option for Touch ID disappeared.

• ricky_nguyen
    ricky_nguyen
    Community Member

Do you have a copy of the emergency kit that 1Password uses stored somewhere such as on your computer so that you can have a place to keep your master password safe?

• mcleodrj99
    mcleodrj99
    Community Member

I did print the emergency kit but unfortunately it does not appear that I filled in my password. We did set up a family vault. Is there a way that my wife can help me get unlocked?

• mcleodrj99
    mcleodrj99
    Community Member

Good news! Figured out the master password! Thanks for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to remember it. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@mcleodrj99 - One other thing I'd strongly recommend for you is that you make your wife a Family Organizer, if you haven't already. You asked:

Is there a way that my wife can help me get unlocked?

...and the answer to that question is: if she has Family Organizer permissions, then yes -- she can help you recover your account even if you forget your Master Password and lose your Secret Key. Family Organizers have that ability, but regular account members do not. When you're the person who creates the 1Password Families account, you're a Family Organizer by default -- but if you haven't made your wife one as well, then if you hadn't been able to remember your own Master Password just now, not only would you be locked out of your own account but your wife would be as well (eventually), since you're the only one who has "admin" privileges.

We always recommend there be at least two administrators or Family Organizers on each account, for exactly this reason: if your wife forgets her Master Password, you can recover her account, but if you haven't made her a Family Organizer and you forget your Master Password (or lose your Secret Key), she can't do the same for you.

This discussion has been closed.