To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Safari 13 upgrade forced me to upgrade to 1Password 7 and now I have to pay and it doesn't work

Options
Andy_D
Andy_D
Community Member

Same experience as many users it seems. I am extremely annoyed at what looks like blackmail to me. It's as if I am being penalised for being a long-time user (since 2014). I'm going to give e DashLane a go - even if I still have to pay, I despise the underhand way that AgileBits have approached this.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.3.BETA-2 (70303002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andy_D: I'm sorry you feel that way. The reality is though that we put a lot of work into building 1Password 7 and creating a brand new Safari App Extension pin it last year in order to be able to support new versions of Safari. I'm glad that you've gotten such a great value out of the old version you purchased, but it's not sustainable for us to charge you once, years ago (i.e. 2014), and give you everything we build in perpetuity. There would be no one here to help you if you ask for it otherwise, or to develop future versions to compensate for other inevitable browser and OS changes. If you have any questions about 1Password, please let me know.

• Andy_D
    Andy_D
    Community Member
    Options

I admire your prompt response but I am still left with a version of 1Password that does not work with safari, despite taking out the 1 month trial - and following numerous reboots.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andy_D: That's something I can help with. Are you signed into your 1Password account in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Accounts? And do you have 1Password enabled in Safari Preferences > Extensions? Let me know. :)

• Andy_D
    Andy_D
    Community Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hmm - well I finally managed to get it working, I think. Still far from impressed by your sales approach, which still feels underhand, even though I appreciate your motives. Maybe you ought to reduce your technical team and add some customer relations and marketing skills. I'll leave it a few days and look again at the purchase options. Some nice features of DashLane that I liked: audit of duplicated and weak passwords plus a notification of sites that had been compromised on the Dark Web. Trivial to implement from a technical perspective but worthwhile from a client perspective.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Andy_D: I don't fully understand many of your comments, which seem intended as insults, as I haven't been trying to sell you anything, just clarify that 1Password is not free, and why. :blush:

But as far as doing a security audit of your 1Password data, we've had Watchtower for years, and it's greatly expanded in 1Password 7:

Use Watchtower to find passwords you need to change

So you may find that useful. Cheers! :)

• Andy_D
    Andy_D
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry that you feel my comments were intended as insults - that was definitely not my intention. In my defence, I have spent several hours this weekend trying to get this working, and finally succeeded close to midnight last night (I am in the UK). The point that I was trying to make, albeit clumsily, was that it would have helped if you had been clearer about the need for me to pay for this upgrade, and also to repeat your (quite reasonable) defence of why this is necessary - essentially marketing & presentation. I have been a satisfied user of 1Password now for many years and it felt like I was being taking advantage of. I was also tired and bad-tempered, which may have come across in my message, for which I am sorry. The process also seemed overly complicated - involving me sending myself emails containing emergency kit pdf documents which I then had to photograph using my mobile phone. Although technically sophisticated, it did feel a bit OTT.

• Andy_D
    Andy_D
    Community Member
    Options

And (eating humble pie here) thanks for the tip on Watchtower - I vaguely remember it being introduced, but have never got around to using it. Something I will address in future.

• I do apologize that we made you feel that way, @Andy_D. We want everyone to have a smooth experience using 1Password, and so when there are any hiccups we try to evaluate what we might do differently. I'm glad to hear ultimately you were able to get things working as expected, and we'll continue to look at the processes on our end.

Ben

• Andy_D
    Andy_D
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben - all's well that ends well! I have raised a second issue on the forum about how I can upgrade my old account and get rid of the new account that I was forced to create to make the transition. Not hugely urgent but something I'd like to get sorted.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.