To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Setting up an account - 1Password asks for Master-Password - Security issue?

HansonRazor
HansonRazor
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Memberships

When creating an 1p7 account, after entering e-mail address and preferred username, I am asked to enter my master password.

Why is that not a security issue? For many years, I have been told, the advantage of 1Password is, that I only have to remember this one unique master password (hence the name: 1Password, right?) and not to share it with anybody. Never.

Now I am asked to share it with the guys from 1Password.

Are they able to log in to my stuff with this knowledge? What if 1Password gets hacked?

Isn´t the old method way more secure?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

-deleted-

• Hi @HansonRazor,

Entering your Master Password in the 1Password.com web application does not share that password with us any more than entering it into the 1Password desktop applications does. We never have access to your Master Password. That remains true with the new model. :)

If you're interested in how this all works under the hood... we have an in-depth security design white paper available here:

1Password Security Design White Paper

And this blog post may help as well:

Developers: How we use SRP, and you can too

Admittedly these are fairly technical documents, but it can help to understand some of the technicals if you're looking to verify our claims, rather than taking us at our word for it. :)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.